Sign in to follow this  
shootermcbob

question for reelmech...or anyone else regarding line guides?

I am wondering about the differences in the types of line guides. I know you have fuji aluminum oxide, hardloy, and alconite. What are the differences and how do they make your rod more sensitive??? Thanks

Reelmech will probably be able to give you a more detailed and technical response;  but I think as far as the sensitivity, the composition of the guides will transmit more feeling to the rod blank based on it's hardness.  Much the same way as fishing a C-rig with a lead, brass, or tungsten weight.  

The composition of the guides will also establish its durability over a period of time.  Durability of the guides will resist cracking, chipping, and line wear (especially from braid.)  

If I'm not mistaken, I think the Fuji SiC eyes are supposed to be the best of them, then the Alconite, Hardloy, and finally the Al Oxide.

Nope nothing detailed or technical.. :)

Sensitivity is built into rods with all of the components and good balance, not just the guides.... :)

"Most of the articles written on rod sensitivity stated the more flexible the more sensitive a rod is.

The consensuses now is that the stiffer a rod is the more sensitive it will be."  :-?

Tight Lines!  

I really don't think you'll notice much difference in sensitivity with guides. The main issue at hand would be the hardness of the insert ring. The Fuji Aluminum Oxide, Hardloy, and Alconite are in the proper order as far as hardness and price. To be honest... the basic standard Aluminum Oxide will work just fine in most cases. Some say it's not good for superlines and that may be the case, but I have Hardloy on my saltwater rigs and use braid and have for 10+ yrs with no ring failures!  

In addition to the increase in hardness, I also believe that they are light in weight as you go up from AL oxide to Hardloy to Alconite. There is also increase in the price of the guides too.

I have also heard that this increase in hardness also translates to enhanced sensitivity, but I can't confirm with any certainty.

Granted, we might be talking a gram here and a gram there, but there are some folks to whom such extra grams make a difference.

Now the SiCs are harder than the Alconites but I learned at TT that the Alconites were actually a smidgeon lighter. Go figure! ;D

From Al Oxide and up, there should not be any problems with braid at all.