Sign in to follow this  
slomoe

Im torn. Swimbait help.

Need a little help.

Last month I purchased a revo inshore at a great price and I'm Looking for a good rod to pair it with. I want to use this rod to target mostly inshore schoolies with small (1/2 oz) to medium (2-2 1/2 oz) swimbaits, and If possible some saltwater plugs, like topwater, and jerkbaits. I figured a moderate action would cover all of this. (I may be trying to have my cake and eat it too)

I would also like to use it for my bass fishing with swimbaits like mattlures eastcoast series.

I was looking at these two rods. The okuma guide series got a pretty good review on tackletour and they're within my price range.

okuma2.jpg

I really like the split grip on this rod, and pretty much fufills my lure rating requirements. But 7'11" is pretty long, I wonder if it would fit in my tiny car, but I think I can make it work.

okuma1.jpg

Then there's this one. I like that this one is shorter, but the wide range in the lure rating makes me think this is a pretty stiff stick. I want the most versitile rod but I don't want to lose alot of sensitivity.

Any input would be appreciated and taken into consideration, especially from those who have used these rods.

I prefer the 7'6" series from Okuma but I have never thrown the MH. Yes the 7'6" will be a stiffer rod than the 7'11", they are across the other models at least. At any rate, I can put 5 8ft swimbait rods with all my gear and a passenger in my girlfriends CRX so no matter what car you drive, there is a way to get it in there, LOL.

I think that you would be happy with either rod.

Thats what I wanted to hear.  ;D Im sure I can fit it in my car too.

Thanks for the help dude.

IMO the split grip on the 7'11 makes it a great rod for fishing swimbaits.  Two hand casting is a breeze.  With the 7'11 H, I can sling a Hudd Deluxe ROF12 a country F'n mile.  I've also used it to flip 3/8 oz. jigs.

Having said that, I'll defer to the fourbizz and the west coast crew as they've got more experience with swimbaiting.

Yea, I figured I could use the extra leverage with the long grip.