Sign in to follow this  
Ballpark Frank

Issue with a Revo and chain store. Kind of a Rant.

A few days ago I had posted one of my Revo SX's up for trade, and worked out a deal with Alpster. This reel had never been mounted on a rod, nor seen line. When I bought it at _ _ , I thought I checked it out pretty good, but apparently not. The reel had sat on my tackle rack for a few weeks, when I decided I wanted something else, and thought a trade on BR would be best. Well, we work out the deal and I get the reel out to look it over before I ship it. I loosened everything(not too much) and released the spool and spun it. The spool mad a weird noise, not too loud, and kinda like grinding. I tightened things up a bit, a did it again, this time worse. I contacted Alpster and canceled the trade. Sorry on both sides I am pretty sure. I suspected that the reel did not come from the factory that way, but it was only intuition. I went to _ _ yesterday with my receipt to return the reel. Guess what, the reel was a previous return that was restocked. I am wondering if someone returned the reel for the same reason, or if someone damaged it then returned it. Anyway I am upset with _ _ because of this, the first time it was returned, they should have checked it out and returned it to the manufacturer or something. Now I have a $150 store credit to use at a store I am angry with. This is another reason I rarely shop at chain stores, I would not have there, but it was a gift card I recieved for Christmas.

Hey, let me help you out & send me the store credit.  I am just one of those that would like to help out when I can! :)

Just go & buy another reel from the place & be done w/ it.  BUT, I would ask them for the reel you want that HAS not been opened yet.  When I go buy new reels, I always tell them to get the ones that has the tape on, unopened.  I know then that the reel is "pure" & if any defects were to come about, I know it's from the mfg.

But if the store does not have a reel that has not been touched, I ask them to pull a couple of the opened reels, so I can inspect.  I did this when I bought my Shimano Curado 101D.  From the 3 I looked at, one of them the thumb bar would not re-engage.  The other one just did not feel all that smooth.  The one I picked was the best.  It's the Goldie Locks & the 3 bears analogy.

BUT, I'm here for you if you want to part ways w/ the store credit....Buddy! :) ::)

Let me guess, the store name started with a B, ended with an S, and in the middle was *** Pro Shop.

;D ;D ;D I don't want to directly knock the store, but that is FUNNY! ;D ;D ;D

The customer who originally returned it boxed it up, put all the paperwork back in, and brought it back the same way he took it home.  The store took it back and placed it to the side.  Then they probably got sidetracked, forgot to put it in the NG pile.  At least they were honest with you about it being a previous return.  These things happen.  I hope they didn't give you a hard time.  Store credit is a good thing at any store that sells fishing tackle. :)

Nope the store was Gander Mountain, I don't know why I blanked it out in my post. The employee and manager were kinda ----oles, until they figured out that it was a previous return. They wanted me, at first, to send it to Abu and let them deal with it. Then they were very helpful and apologetic. Thanks for the offer Ghost, but I'm going to utilize the store credit on a couple of other things. I will just be sure to check them out thoroughly before purchase.

I truly don't understand how people can purchase a reel without first taking it out of the box and fully inspecting the item. Working at one of your "dreaded chain stores" I personally know that there are minor defects to even reels straight out of the box. When I see people ask for a reel and instantaneously walk away without even opening the box, sometimes even when it has a broken seal, is just beyond my understanding. People need to understand that a) you aren't the first person to look at most reels, :) there are defects even from a sealed product, and finally c) it is your responsibility in the end to make sure that there are no mistakes to your purchase. It's not rocket science people.

I truly don't understand how people can purchase a reel without first taking it out of the box and fully inspecting the item. Working at one of your "dreaded chain stores" I personally know that there are minor defects to even reels straight out of the box. When I see people ask for a reel and instantaneously walk away without even opening the box, sometimes even when it has a broken seal, is just beyond my understanding. People need to understand that a) you aren't the first person to look at most reels, :) there are defects even from a sealed product, and finally c) it is your responsibility in the end to make sure that there are no mistakes to your purchase. It's not rocket science people.

I had 4 reels mailed to me last year, of those 4 reels, 4 worked perfectly. If I have to go over a product with a fine tooth comb before buying it, I probably should think twice about buying the product in the first place. I did get a defective Shimano last year, that is part of the reason why I have Pflueger's and Daiwa's. If I'm not the first person to look at the reel taken from stock, I will not buy it. Same with rods. Stores should have display models, and stock in the back that they give to the customer.

Did I say that I bought the reel without opening the box? No. Did I inspect the reel? Yes, in a crowded and loud chain store. I guess your hearing is exceptional. It is my responsibility, but doesn't the store have a responsibility to the customer to remove known defective products from the shelf? Yes. Sir I did not claim that this was ultimately the stores fault, I am just upset that it was a previous return(with a problem) that was placed back on the shelf. No, I do not know rocket science, but I do know Nuclear Physics and Thermodynamics. In my job I have a responsiblility to the public to do my job correct and exact at all times, and not put the customer at risk. I guess it is stupid of me to expect the same from others in their jobs.

I think what's at issue here is the stores selling these as brand new and not notifying the customer that these were returned and are being sold "New, Open box returned".  Big difference.  

I work in the electronics repair business.  Many big box retailers have very liberal exchange policies.  Usually, customers can bring an item back within 30 days and get a full refund, no questions asked.  This means the item may or may not be working correctly.  Unless the box was sealed (most reel boxes aren't like that) you have no way of knowing whether the reel is used or not if it's stuck into New stock.

There should probably be some sort of disclosure law.  Just the price one has to pay for these return policies stores offer these days in order to compete.