Sign in to follow this  
Jake P

new reel

I have been looking at the round reels lately and am thinking about buying one.Im looking in the 100$ range and have come across 1. Abu Garcia C4 2.Shimano Cardiff. I know there are alot of people who have owned or still own and use these reels on this forum so some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know much about those reels. But if you want to save some on money on them reels, call Delo's they are a a sponsor on this site. I am just trying to help!

Ive never used the C4 so I cant comment on that. But I have used my friends Cardiff many times. It is a smooth reel and I could cast a very good distance with it. The one I used is a cardiff 100

Again, I can't comment on the C4, but I own a Cardiff 400 that I throw Swimbaits with and let me tell you, that thing is a workhorse even after being abused by fourbizz for awhile.  I don't know if your looking for a 100, 200, etc.  But the 400 is a beast.  It feels strong and durable so if I do drop it, i have confidence in it that it's not going to break.

I own several C4s and have owned several more.  They are good, solid reels and respectable performers.  They are immensely strong.   I've pretty much retired mine, though.  They have a non-disengaging level wind which, in my experience, reduces casting distance.   I was going to upgrade mine with ceramic bearings and even ordered some, but cancelled my order since I don't think $90 worth of upgrades per reel would give it $90 more performance.   The C4 has a place in fishing - but it's not the best choice for bass.  

The C4 really excels if you like to tinker with reels.  They are extremely easy to work on and upgrade.  

i just bought a cardiff 200 last month.  I have used it a few times and it seems really smooth and casts well.  I've never used the C3 so I can't comment on that but I recommend the cardiff.