Sign in to follow this  
yuengling910

rod suggestions for new fisherman

what's up. i started getting more serious about fishing last year and had some fun but i am still learning. i started out with a cheap ugly stick combo. right now i still have the ugly stick but upgraded the reel to an abu garcia ambassadeur spinning reel.

i'm still learning how to use different baits but i've been using a lot of plastic worms/lizards (mainly because i can't afford to keep losing crankbaits or spinners every time i fish).

i have a gift certificate to gander mountain and i want to purchase a new rod. i would like to stick with the spinning reel for now unless anyone thinks that i could do much better. budget is around $200 for the rod (unless someone can think of a better combo setup for around 200). I will probably fish mainly plastic baits but would like to throw the occasional crank or spinner bait. i fish from the bank for smallmouths in a small river, but will try to get to some larger lakes for largemouth this summer.

so basically i'm looking for an all around rod for around $200. through a few articles on this site, i've been thinking about a st. croix med/fast about 6.5 foot. also, i would prefer a 2 piece for travel reasons unless a one piece is really better.

thanks for the help. peace.

Before you get a ton of rod suggestions, http://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1141187546 is a good thread to read about rods, mainly roadwarriors post (second post down). Since you are looking at one overall rod, a Medium power fact action of medium heavy rod would be most appropriate. I think most people would advise you to spend the 200 on a rod and reel. There are a ton of great rods right around $100, as well as reels.

I got a nice 7 foot MH rod (Tournament Special) at Bass Pro Shop on sale for $29 it's regular price was $49.  If you go with something a little less expensive you will have money left over for lures and plastics.

Hi Yuengling :P

I personally think that you are making the right choice in a rod.  St Croix is a good bet.  I would probably go for an Avid in that line.  The Gander Mountain arround me has them on clearance right now for about 100$  Great deal.  I also like 2 piece rods and I like 6'6 because there are some low trees by where I fish and a 7' rod might be to close to the branches for me.

Vic

Welcome aboard!

At your pricing point, there are a lot of rods to choose from. The discontinued Avids are still available at some retailers for around $100. MSRP ranges $140-$170. I think these rods are the "Best Value".

8-)