Sign in to follow this  
joshmb1999

Shaw Grigsby Signature Series Quantum Baitcaster

Dad got me this combo from Dick's for my birthday...anybody ever had one?  I'm trying to decide whether to take it back and pick something out that i really want or keep it.  suggestions???

I just bought one tonight. I figure it is a good starter combo for me since I have never used a baitcaster before.  Once I get good at using them I will upgrade.

If you don't have a reel for flipping & pitching I would give it a try. That reel has the Quantum flipping switch and a dial brake system that would come in handy when Flipping.

I do not know about the baitcaster, but I bought the spinning version two years ago. The reel cramped out after about five or six outings. I ended up carrying it back a got a store credit. I have problem with these signature series combos that are sold at Dick's and BPS. Mainly because  you never see Shaw Grigsby or Bill Dance fishing with one on their show. They are always using Quantums top shelf products. I mean if you can't fish with something that has your name on it, then why would you expect me to spend my hard earned money on it.

Sounds like you don't really want it.

If this is the case, take it back while you can and get what you want. If you don't buy what you want now, you will later. Might as well apply this money toward it.

If you don't believe me, you welcome to come over and look at all the crap I've bought hastily, and quickly outgrew. Talk about a waste!  :-X

thanks for all the good advice guys...my local dicks has some of last years avids still for $99 so i think i'll get store credit for the combo and pickup another avid.