Sign in to follow this  
Ifish4keeps

spinnerbait combo

there's a lot of options..because a spinnerbait is so versatile. u can pitch em, burn em, slow roll em..ect.  a 7ft rod is better for longer casting and a 6-6,maybe even a 6ft is better for more accurate presentations. the reel has options too -a slow reel for slow rollin(5:1 or 6:1) and a fast(7:1) for burnin it back. but a great all around combo that you can do all this with is a 6'8" rod (i got an st. croix..$110) and a 6-4:1 reel (i use a quantum pt..$79) hope this helps ya bud!

My spinnerbait combo consists of a BPS Graphite Series rod :6-6 MH Mod-fast action I believe(not rated ) paired with a BPS Extreme 6.3:1.

I bought the rod in sale for $19.99 and the reel in clearance for $47.95(if I remember correctly) . The rod is not the lightes on the market and the reel is not the best I have, but spinnerbaits have some weight and are fairly easy to cast. There is no sensitivity issues involved (at least for me) in spinnerbaiting.

Have the combo for a couple years now and it works out great for me.

Hope it helps...

If you have a Bass Pro Shops around you I know every year at the classic they usually mark down a $150 combo down to about $70. I bought one last year. It was one of there extreme combos and I got the 6'6" MH combo. It makes an awsome spinnerbait setup for the price.

Cabelas has a combo in-store that consists of an all-star instinct 6'6" rod (it's the spinnerbait specific rod of that series) and a pfleuger echelon reel. It's just short of $100 I think and it's pretty good.

It will be tough to beat the classic coming up though.

If it's a MH power rod , it should work.But most people preffer a faster action rod(mod-fast or fast). If it's a medium power, might not have the backbone to set the hook efficiently .

BTW what brand, power and action is the rod you are talking about?

For the money, the technique specific All Star Instinct Rods are tough to beat, 60$ no matter which one....team that up with one of the New Abu Garcia Maxx reels ($50)......you got an economical, but great quality in your  reel and rod

I've got em but with the Revo and they are awesome, but the Maxx is the newer and more affordable low-profile version....

I'm using a 6.5" Berkley Lightning Rod (med. Heavy) with a Shimano Coriolis Reel and 17 pd Spiderwire EZ Mono. I also use it for buzzbaits and chatterbaits.

I'm using a 6.5" Berkley Lightning Rod (med. Heavy) with a Shimano Coriolis Reel and 17 pd Spiderwire EZ Mono. I also use it for buzzbaits and chatterbaits.

For inexpensive(I dislike the word cheap, inexpensive does not always mean cheap), I agree the Lightning Rods are hard to bet. I have several that are my beater rods. An Ugly Stick would also be a good choice. A happy "medium" would be a 6'6" MH action.  An excellent new model reel that I really like is the Daiwa Exceler. There are some good deals on discontinued models right now, too. I just got 2 Quantum Accurist CXs for $30 each. Walmart has them for $40. They also have the Coriolis for $25. I have a 6'6" MH Lightning rod and Abu 5500 C3 that was my favorite spinnerbait combo for a long time.

Castaway Medium Heavy Bait Cast Length: 6' 6

Shimano Calcutta CT50 Gear Ratio: 5:0.1

Slow down & catch fish  ;)

Catt, he didn't specify cost, but said cheap. A Castaway and Calcutta would be at least $250-$350, not exactly inexpensive. In that price range, he has alot of options.

Well the rod was only $69.99  ;)

Castaway Medium Heavy Bait Cast Length: 6' 6

Shimano Calcutta CT50 Gear Ratio: 5:0.1

Slow down & catch fish ;)

i recently purchased a drop shot rod and reel...

i also have a jig and t-rig rod

i fish pretty slow there bob 8-)