Sign in to follow this  
Mike-in-WV

What do you call accurate bait casting?

When bait casting on a calm and clear day what do you call accurate at say 10-20-30-40 yards? Is it being able to drop your lure in a 1' circle at 10 yards and a 3' circle at 40 yards or is that asking to much of most people? What do the pros call accurate or what is the best ever performed?, Mike

I would think the pros would be more accuratethen that.

You may be right but I sure don't know . Thats why I'm asking. I was practicing in the back yard and it got me to thinking about just how accurate are some guys and what is considered really accurate?  :)Mike

Wait until someone walks by on your sidewalk, thats wearing a hat, then cast a 1 oz spoon from 100 yds away and see if you can rip the hat of their head and reel it in without them noticing. Heck, if you get good enough you could start an Ebay store called "Ripped Off Hats" ;D ;D

Wait until someone walks by on your sidewalk, thats wearing a hat, then cast a 1 oz spoon from 100 yds away and see if you can rip the hat of their head and reel it in without them noticing. Heck, if you get good enough you could start an Ebay store called "Ripped Off Hats" ;D ;D

That would be fun but there are no neighbors walking on sidewalks around here  ;D My wife and I live on top of a mountain by ourselves and the closest neighbor is 3/4 mile away. Guess I could try smacking a Bear or Deer on the head with a 1 oz jig as they walk by :;) On second thought that may not be a good idea either,  :)Mike

Last year was my first experience with a bait caster.  After a few weeks I was quite pleased with myself because I could hit the LAKE at least 2 out of 3 casts   ;)

Accuracy has everything to do with hitting your target.  I guess to me it is hard to quantify but things such as stopping your bait prior to a weedline, or ensuring that you throw it past the brush pile to bring it through, that is accuracy in my mind.  

Pond Hopper, You got that right! I think if I can drop my plug or jig about a foot away from that stump 25-30 yards away I'm doing good 8-) But I was just wondering what some of the pros do at the distance and accuracy contest. , Mike

i conside a cast to be accurate when it goes exactly where i want it to go.

if i want to land my lure in a pocket of lily pads and i land it in the pocket, its accurate. if i want to land the lure just next to a stump and it lands 5 yards to the lft that is not accurate. sometimes i will want the lure to land 5 yards to the left of a stump, in that case its accurate.

so if my lure goes where i want it to then its accurate.

Kevin Vandam accurate is what I call accurate!  40yds away he can put a jig in a coffee cup on a windy day.

I can pitch into a coffee cup out to 10, maybe 15 yards and cast into 1' circle at 30 yrds.  At the Bassmaster University I went to, one of the guys there said he was at another Bassmaster University where Jimmy Houston was casting spinnerbaits into peoples pockets from 25-30 yards!

i conside a cast to be accurate when it goes exactly where i want it to go.

if i want to land my lure in a pocket of lily pads and i land it in the pocket, its accurate. if i want to land the lure just next to a stump and it lands 5 yards to the lft that is not accurate. sometimes i will want the lure to land 5 yards to the left of a stump, in that case its accurate.

so if my lure goes where i want it to then its accurate.

this is my thoughts, if it goes where i intended it to go, its accurate.

To me it is a cast that hits the intended spot regardless of the distance.

Here is a acquaintance of mine who showed that it can also be done with a spinning reel. More steps involved for sure, but it doesn't mean that it can't be done.

When bass are holding tight in cover pinpoint accuracy is paramount.  When they are active and roaming, a cast that is a foot or two off may be accurate enough.  

I can put the lure in a spot smaller than a post card 3 times out of 5 or better at 30 yards and on the misses I know about it early enough to stop the flight. To do it I need a short 6' rod and I prefer a pistol grip for accuracy. When doing a cast for super accuracy I use a straight over hand cast even though I usually just use a roll cast.