Sign in to follow this  
eyedabassman

Baitcaster, What one?

Of these reels what one would you buy?

Of the 5 that I have listed put them in order to how you would rate these 5!  Bass Pro Extreme,Daiwa Megaforce,Daiwa Procaster Tournament PT 100,Pflueger Echelon,Quantum Code?

I have the Extreme and I'd rate it #1 of all of them simply because it's LOADED with features, available in all those sizes, speeds, and with flippin' switch or without. Even left handed versions. I have one of the 2006 models with only 5 bearings, but the newer ones have 7 now. I love mine.

Then the Pflueger Echelon is a good lower priced, smooth reel and I like it also. Not sure about it's strength, being a graphite frame though. I have another thread started where I'm asking how my stuff compares with some of it being graphite and some aluminum, I've never caught a largemouth bass over 3 pounds though. Striped bass weighing 5 was my best. Figured a graphite reel would not hold up.  If you're interested in a reel of this price, and similar features, look at the Bass Pro Shops Bionic Plus. Made very similar and is just a small bit less in price.

I did not like the Code at all. Felt cheap to me when I looked at it at a Wal-Mart recently. If I were going to get one I'd look at the Kevin Van Dam signature series instead, made just like the Code but has more bearings and for the small increase in price that would be worth it to me. Bass Pro Shops sells it. But I don't like the Code so it probably won't feel much better.

The other two I have no experience with, not even looking at a display. Sorry.

i have used the procaster and it is a pretty nice reel considering the price of it. some of the components are cheap, made of plastic, but over all its a nice reel. i can cast VERY far with it.

Your talking a pretty wide price range to compare productss but of the group without price consideration I'd chose the BPS Extreme. I don't have one but I have other BPS reels and they have served me well.

Don't worry much about the number of bearings since beyond 3 or 4 they don't contribute much to casting ability but might make the reel feel smoother. I prefer an all metal frame since I think it maintains alignment better than graphite frames but I have no data to support my thoughts on this issue.

Just bought a Megaforce... I like it, it's a nice reel.  I quickly found out that the twitchin bar is pretty pointless and probably won't buy a twitchin bar reel again.  To twitch the bait with the bar, you have to take your reeling hand off the reel handle so it can turn.  I like to keep my hand on it, so that I'm ready to set the hook and start a crankin'. So, I just twitch the 'old fashioned' way, with my wrist.  ;)

Of these reels what one would you buy?

Of the 5 that I have listed put them in order to how you would rate these 5! Bass Pro Extreme,Daiwa Megaforce,Daiwa Procaster Tournament PT 100,Pflueger Echelon,Quantum Code?

I've never handled an Extreme, but I have handled the Echelon, Code, and the new KVD that was mentioned earlier and none of them impressed me. The Code felt cheap and neither the Echelon nor the KVD felt as smooth as I expected.

The KVD had a noticeable "hum" to the gears which could be felt while reeling. It might go away after a while, but then again...it might not.

I bought a MegaForce a couple weeks ago and while I haven't had an opportunity to try it out at the lake yet, it casts well and retrieves smoothly in the backyard. If it's going to be your only baitcaster, I'd pass on it, though. I feel the 7.1:1 ratio is a bit too fast for some things.

I've never handled the newer Procaster, but my primary baitcaster is a Daiwa Capricorn XTC which is an aluminum-framed, 9 bearing, drilled-spool version of the older Procaster 6+1. It does everything well for me and the price is right in line with the other reels you mentioned.