Sign in to follow this  
NEBassMan

Ordered my first Mattlures bait today...

Ordered the Mattlures Crappie bait today from ***.  What size of trebles are you guys using on the bottom of these?

Jason

No trebles on mine.

None added to mine either. I fish in very 'woody' water ;)

If the Bass is big, it will inhale the entire bait with the dorsal hook usually ending up in the roof of the Bass's mouth. They aren't known as Largemouths for nothing ;).

Dan

Do you guys not use one because of where you are fishing or that it affects the action of the bait or it just doesn't need it as the top hook works perfect by itself?

Not needed IMO. It will also tear up the bait faster. If you just use the jig hook, you will hook most of the big fish, not as many little fish, and the bait will last alot longer.

The only treble I use if I use one is a trap hook on the top of the bait attached to the main hook via a small leader, one of the hooks goes in the bait that way I 've got 3 hooks on the top. I do this when the fish are striking the bait either are not big enough to engulf it or are grabbing it by the tail. Caught a bunch of dinks ( welllll, you know what I mean with "dinks"  ;) ) by doing that, they hit the bait on the tail and ¡ surprise ! ..... there 's a trap hook there.

It 's easier to catch smaller fish with hard swimbaits than with soft swimbaits beacuse they have trebles dangling from the belly, they attack the bait and impale themselves with the hooks.

I agree that in most conditions you don't need a belly treble. If you get yourself in a position where you're getting a lot of bites but they aren't hooking up then go with a size 2 on the bottom. I'd recommend a 2x hook in this situation to give you a little added strength with such a small hook.

Matt