Sign in to follow this  
BSitzler

Topwater/Frog Setup

I am looking for a new rod for topwater and frog use. What should i be looking for in the rod. Some places are telling me to look at medium heavy while others are saying heavy. Is anything around 7ft good? And is fast action good for this application? Any rods that you use for this type of application ...please tell me. I am not trying to spend more then like 250. Any help would greatly be appreciated. THANKS

What type of frogs? Hard body or hollow body frogs?

I'd go with a 7'3 to 7'6 for a hollow body frog rod. If you're planning on fishing it on top of slop, make sure it's got enough back bone to pull fish out.

I like the dobyns 765 and 766 both for frogs, although they're flipping sticks. Both do the job great and can be used for a ton of other things.

Right now, because money was tight, I have a Daiwa Light and Tough frog rod, I've pulled in some decent fish to say the least  :( and the rod has held up great.

Well i use mostly the hollow but i also have others...i wanted to get one rod that i could use for anytopwater. And yes i usually fish the frogs in slop. Couldnt find any dobyns rods on cabelas or bass proshop..Im looking at the cabelas Xmlti and i might end up getting that.

Well i use mostly the hollow but i also have others...i was wanted to get one rod for all of them

What other types of top water?

I throw a super spook and buzzbaits without a problem on my Daiwa L&T.

Hollow body frogs on top of slow really needs a rod that can hold up.

i throw it all with a high speed revo stx and 50lb braid.

Frog on slop fishing is a different animal than any other topwater fishing. The proverbial pool cue would work if you could get it to load up. My fishing partner has been using a cheap Berkley Lightning stick, 7'6" telescopic extra heavy for the last two seasons and it has held up fine. Suprisingly so. And cheap. I'm not one to advocate cheap equipment but you don't need an Avid to jerk a frog on top of the mat.

For other topwater you may want something more forgiving and a bit shorter, say 6'3" or so.  This keeps the tip from hitting the water when you are walking the dog.  I think it should also have a shorter handle to keep it from hitting your forearm.  On a frog rod a longer handle helps launch the bait way back into the grass.

Anthony

It's tough to get one rod to cover both of those. A Frog Rod is a long, heavy rod. A topwater rod is a short Medium X-fast action rod. They are almost opposites.

I fish topwater 10 months out of the year and my topwater rod is either a 6'8" Med Ex-fast or a 7' Med Ex-fast Dobyns 703C. My Frog rod is a 7'6" Heavy Dobyns 765C.

It's tough to get one rod to cover both of those. A Frog Rod is a long, heavy rod. A topwater rod is a short Medium X-fast action rod. They are almost opposites.

I fish topwater 10 months out of the year and my topwater rod is either a 6'8" Med Ex-fast or a 7' Med Ex-fast Dobyns 703C. My Frog rod is a 7'6" Heavy Dobyns 765C.

Don't you just love that 765! Pure sexiness (can I type that?)

I noticed a lot of guys advocating X-Fast rods for baits like spooks and other topwaters. Do you have any problem yanking the hooks out of the mouth since its an extra fast action. I though a more forgiving moderate action would be better for the trebles. I know the extra fast action helps to work a topwater or a jerkbait and bring it alive, but don't you lose a lot of fish with such a stif rod and trebles.

I mainly fish plastics and jigs. And i also use some topwaters like spooks and frogs. I recently bought those doug hannon snakes and a couple "walk the dog lures" since im starting to use more "topwater" lures i figured i would look into buying a rod for it. I see where you are coming from with the frog pole...nothing special needed to twitch a frog on some slop...so ill focus in on the topwater rod...ive tried looking up the dobyns rods and i cant find them anywhere...anyone got alink? if i have to buy 2 different rods for both of these setups im not looking to spend a lot of money..but i do want good quality so again...anyone got a link to these dobyn rods?

I agree with just about all of this statement :(  One rod is not likely to do both of these different applications well.

My slop fishing (ie Horny Toad) rod is a Dobyns 704c with a Zillion and 50lb braid.

On the other hand, my open water topwater rod (ie Super Spooks, Pop-R's, Sammies, etc) is a St Croix Avid 66MF rod.

ive tried looking up the dobyns rods and i cant find them anywhere...anyone got alink? if i have to buy 2 different rods for both of these setups im not looking to spend a lot of money..but i do want good quality so again...anyone got a link to these dobyn rods?

http://www.dobynsrods.com/

www.***.com sells them

in my opinion you will probably need 2 different rods for these 2 very different presentations.  but you do not need to spend a ton.  neither of these presentations requires a sensitive rod since you see the strike.  

more important in these 2 presentations is not the sensitivity, but the action for working spooks/poppers/prop baits.  and the backbone to get a good hookset in the slop and haul those big fish out.  

i'm sure you could stay in teh $80-$100 range for each rod and find 2 that will be more than adequate to get the job done.

i agree ,,, but i use a 7ft heavy fast for froggin ... the croix LTB frog rod ... this rod is crisp on the hook set .... i can hook those fast bites really well ... i feel if you go with a longer stick you may miss the fast bites ...

for most other top waters i use a 7ft med fast stick ... this is just what works for me ...