Sign in to follow this  
GitRDoneIke23

Big Baitcaster

Ok, I'm looking for a BIG reel to use in the salt. I'll be fishing inshore but for offshore sized fish. (Bull reds, Sharks, Dolphin, etc.) I was wondering if anybody has had experience with some. I don't want to spend anymore than $150.

I'm not too pick about brands but I know Penn Abu Diawa & Shimano are all top for theese kind of reels. I'd like it to hold at least 350 yards of 30# line. mY dad has a nice Ambasaduer Big Game, but I don't really want to spend that much. Just wondering if anybody here has any suggestions.

Thank's!!

Ike :( 8-)

I highly recomment the Shimano Torium or the Daiwa Saltist.  I would go Torium 20 or Daiwa Saltist 30.  

I have fished the torium for awhile now and it has held up very very well.  Have took it tuna fishing, inshore for halis and calicos, bonita, everything in between.  

Oh and Bat Ray fishing, these things will put your tackle to the test.

I haven't fished the Saltist but I know it's very good also.  My friend has a one and the drag is a little better on it.  However, shimano has upgraded the drags in the Torium so they are about the same.

Hope that helps.

Ok, I'm looking for a BIG reel to use in the salt. I'll be fishing inshore but for offshore sized fish. (Bull reds, Sharks, Dolphin, etc.)

Where do you inshore fish for dolphin?  :(

Every once in a while when we're night fishing we'll have a mullet or soemthing on the bottom, over some shell in about 10-16 feet of water, we'll be fishing for Reds, but every once in a while we'll have a dolphin (mahi mahi) nail it and spool us. I'd like to land one eventually.

We're not really fishing for them, we just hook into 'em evry once in a while.

Ike :( 8-)

Try a Shimano Speedmaster, alot of guys around here use those for King Mackeral. Holds plenty of line. We catch small dolphin here in the summer as close as 5-10 miles off the beach. There was also a sailfish land off one of the peirs a few summers ago. The Speedmasters sell for around $120, I believe. Penn makes a cool little reel that is comparable to the Shimano.  Hope this helps

Big T