Sign in to follow this  
Micro

Powell Rods

I found a store locally selling Powells for $130.  Are they good rods?  They look and feel fantastic.   $130 a good price?

Which model?

http://www.powellco.com/

I have only held them, not fished them.  I was impressed and came very close to buying a couple.  Before Dobyns hit the market, they were quite popular.  Then the wagon shifted to Dobyns.

$130 is a good price.  Tackle Warehouse sells the Max series for $170-200.  For $130, I'd buy two or three.  :-/

They all said "MAX" on them.  They had several different models.  Each one had multiple techniques listed on them.  The store had some light, short models for topwaters, some cranking models, a telescoping model, and some swimbait models that handled lures from 8-16 oz.  16 friggin' ounces.  

Yep, that is a good price.  Jump all over it.

Too bad it costs $20 to ship a rod, otherwise I'd call that place and order one for myself.  I've been dying to try a 683C.

He had about 10 Powell rods.  I'm not sure of the model numbers.  I did see the MAX thing, and the techniques on each rod.  All casting models.  Had some Kistlers, too, that he would 'give me a discount on' but I wasn't interested in Kistler.   He had a few custom baitcasters with spiral guides on them.  Think he said they used a Lamiglass blank, but may have been hearing things.  

Micro, go to powelco.com to check out Powell rods.  I have four of them and I think they are some of the best rods in the $160 - $200 price range.  At $130 dollars you can't beat 'em.  I own the following:

683CEF - Casting rod, Medium-heavy, extra-fast tip

684CEF - Casting rod, Heavy, extra-fast tip

703MEF - Spinning rod, Medium, extra-fast tip

684CB - Casting rod, Medium, Moderate fast, (Crankbait rod)

The only one of these rods that I don't love is the crankbait rod.  It's not bad, but it's a little soft for my tastes, even as a crankbait rod.

for 130 i would buy every one that they have! I have 2 683 max's and I love them, more than my kistlers or my GL3's, promise me you'll but atleast one!

I'm not buying anything until Uncle Sam gets off his butt and sends me a rebate check.  

Buy them all! I love my Powell rod to death. If you don't need them all, just buy them and resell them at full price.