Sign in to follow this  
darkstartjr

HSTA vs. STX

I've narrowed my search down to two reels, the STX and HSTA. I fish for bass in central missouri, don't really have the budget to buy setups for every single type of fishing, so am looking for something that is versatile. Gonna put it on a St. Croix 6'6" MH/F Rod. any advantages for abu or daiwa. Would like something that is easily adjustable as I wil typically be changing lures on the fly and dont want to have to be opening the covers to tune my reel while on the water.

suggestions? insight?

Welcome aboard!

I have the STX mounted on a St. Croix AV66MF. The reel balances well and can be adjusted "on the fly". I haven't had it long enough to strongly recommend the reel, but every owner who has posted on this forum seems to be pleased.

8-)

Both are pretty good.  They both have magnetic breaks that are adjustable externally so that takes care of your 'easy' adjustment requrement.

The HSTA has bearing supported swept handle, and is super smooth.  The drag isn't as powerful at the STX however.  STX says it has 24lbs vs Daiwa's 8.8-9 lbs

The HSTA is wider than the STX and is less comfortable to palm, but I have gotten used to mine so it is a non issue.  I have small hands as well.  

So I think it would come down to the drag and price.  If you are fishing for really large fish, STX, but if not the Daiwa can be had for around $120 and it is really good.  I don't fish Abu's so you can take my advice with a grain of salt, but it's JMHO.  Good luck, I think you'll wind up very happy with either.

Well i am just fishing for your typical LMB. I'm not sure if having really good drag power is that important as i haven't really gotten into catching any lunkers. I am usually out there alone fishing whatever body of water i can find. Still teaching myself new techniques and trying all sorts of lures. I finally got off my kick of just fishing Kreatures. No boat yet, and no fishing buddies since i moved out here. Just fishing small lakes and ponds as much as a can, 3 or 4 days a week if i can.

i love my stx!!!

I love my hsta go with any you'll be happy the hsta is a bit wider though.

You can find them for over 30$ cheaper which is a plus you decide.