Sign in to follow this  
a1ctesta

Shimano Citica vs. Cardiff

Well, the Citica and Cardiff are two totally different types of reels. A citica is a low profile and a cardiff is a round profile. I own both (Citica 100 and Cardiff 400), and love both. The Cardiff I have however is for swimbaits, so I have no say on how the smaller ones cast smaller lures. I would get a citica though if I was you. I have had no problems with it and they are great reels!

What sizes are you planning on getting? Personally If you are going w/ the 200 size citica, I'd get the citica because they have the HEG.

Well, the Citica and Cardiff are two totally different types of reels. A citica is a low profile and a cardiff is a round profile. I own both (Citica 100 and Cardiff 400), and love both. The Cardiff I have however is for swimbaits, so I have no say on how the smaller ones cast smaller lures. I would get a citica though if I was you. I have had no problems with it and they are great reels!

I have good news for you. I have a 301 cardiff and while it is my primary salmon reel, it has a double duty as my crankbait reel. I have 10# magnathin on it right now and it can cast 1/4 oz crankbaits easily.

If line capacity is needed, go with the Cardiff. However, the Citica has the lower profile and newer innards. For example, the Cardiff is not super free (however, I cannot see any notable casting differences even against a curado d) but it does have the dartanium drag.It also does not have the HE gearing but a  301A Cardiff is lighter than a Citica 200.

So there's a bit of give and take.

Welcome aboard!

8-)