Sign in to follow this  
KvD

Time to learn.....

ok guys i finally got my combo together... a Quantum energy PT baitcaster($70) and a Quantum energy PT rod Medium Heavy fast action rated for 1/4 oz to 1 1/2oz lures and 10 to 25lb line($89)... i put 12lb sufix siege camo colored line on and spooled it though a rag with about 6 sparys of KVD line and lure conditioner....

ok so its time to learn and i adjusted the spool control and breaks as told though reel mechanics baitcaster setup 101....

Ok so im going to start practicing tomarrow and based on what ive told you is just a 5/16oz lead weight enough to practice with? should i go heavier/lighter? im looking for all advice!!!

sorry for the long post and thanks for all the help in advance!!!

Alex

It will be easier to learn with something heavier IMO. The best part about quantum is their braking system! Externally controlled centrifugal is the best around. I don't know why all companies don't do this.

Sounds like you have yourself a nice system...

I personally would be setting up and practicing with a 5/8oz practice plug.

Practice, Practice, Practice!

Just my .02¢ from the bench.

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  

anyone know where i can find a 5/8oz practice plug? biggest ive found was 3/8oz...

Also im a dummy when it comes to weighs in fractions could anyone point me in the right direction to finding a 0 to 1 oz chart with all the fractions inbetween listed in order? lol i know im not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes tot his stuff....

Alex

anyone know where i can find a 5/8oz practice plug? biggest ive found was 3/8oz...

Also im a dummy when it comes to weighs in fractions could anyone point me in the right direction to finding a 0 to 1 oz chart with all the fractions inbetween listed in order? lol i know im not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes tot his stuff....

Alex

1/16   1/8   3/16   1/4   5/16   3/8   7/16   1/2   9/16  5/8   11/16   3/4  13/16   7/8  15/16   1

3/8 will work, the only reason I suggested the heavier practice plug is I try to stay in the middle of the rods lure ratings when I suggest practice weights.

:)

Man don't waste your money on plugs. Just take an old bass casting sinker. If you don't have one of those just take a bullet weight that you wan't and then tie on a snap to prevent it from coming off. That's what I practiced with and it worked like a charm.

Alex

Defintely use at least a 1/2 oz weight or more.  Just get some "bass casting" weights as they are called.  This is the cheapest way to go.

As for fractions from lightest to heaviest:

1/16 = 0.0625

2/16 = 1/8 = 0.125

3/16 = 0.1875

4/16 = 2/8 = 1/4 = 0.25

5/16 = 0.3125

6/16 = 3/8 = 0.375

8/16 = 4/8 = 1/2 = 0.50

10/16 = 5/8 = 0.625

6/8 = 3/4 = 0.75

14/16 = 7/8 = 0.875

16/16 = 8/8 = 4/4 = 1.0

I put in the extra fractions not commonly seen in fishing weights to illustrate the where fractions differ in value or are equivalent.

-Alex

well today i practticed with my 5/16 oz bullett weight and i started off with everything tight.... threw it about 20 feet... then after about an hour of that i loosened the sppol up and went to about 40 feet... than i got brave and loosened it up a little more and shiz am! 35 yard casts into the woods behind my house off the deck... only got 2 major back lashes when i first started after that they were a few streches of line off the spool and they were gone..... ill continue to practice, but im going to the lake with it in a few hours....

Alex

Pretty lucky if you only got a couple backlashes your first time messing with it!  lol  I have had so many, even after getting the reel down pat, that it discourages me a little! lol  I pull it out though, and try again.  I have only been using the bait casting reels for about a year, or so, but it's not hard to figure out, just takes a little more coordination, and patience!

well guys this mornings trip got rained out but i did prctice alot though... i was throwing a lead bullet weight and it aparently cut my line and got a mother of all mothers of backlashes.... actually had to cut it out.... lol but that was the only one.... but got better even more with it today... now just have to learn my accuracy.... lol

Alex