Sign in to follow this  
MARSH MASTER

High dollar set ups?

I was wondering about these $400 and up reels. Is it worth spending that much on a reel or should I be more concerned about the rod in using? I have some pretty decent set ups (2 chronarchs, 2 curadas, 4 pt's, 1 carrot stick and the rest all stars). My carrot stick is by far my most sensetive rod and my all stars (the $120 ones) seem to be the tuff ones. My chronarch, well its a chronarch nothing needs to be said its awesome but I never owned a core or calais. I also never owned a high dollar rod. I've sold all my lower end set ups to start getting quality ones. Is it realy worth the money to make that jump from what i've got alreay?

I've always been of the opinion that you should buy the best rod you can afford.  The reel has always been secondary since the rod is what you feel.  This is even more important if you fish "feel" baits, like plastics, jigs, etc.  If you were a spinnerbait guy for example, I might say the reel is as important as the rod... but even then it would just be 50/50 in my book.  

You actually have very nice reels, going up from that point is going from very good to excellent.  If I were in your shoes, I'd keep those reels and buy a GLX, a custom rod.

My $0.02

I have rods from the Ugly Stick up to Kistler, St. Croix and G. Loomis.

The rods I like the best are my Bass Pro Shop 60 Million Extreme rods. They work great all the time.

As for reels, I have small Shimano's up to the Castic and Stradic but I like the Curados the best.

Go figure?

I will probably stick with the 100, 200 and 7:0:1 Curados and always take my BPS Extreme rods when fishing.

Of course, I will have the other rods and reels in the boat, too.  You can never have enough rods and reels.  ;D

What are some good rods I should look into?

Look into GLoomis IMX series rods or GLX if you can afford it. Go to the store hold it and play w/ it. They are really good, sensitive rods. I'd suggest you stay away from their gl2/gl3 series, not worth the money.

If you think they are too expensive, look around for used ones from the marketplaces of fishing forums. You can get atleast $100 off msrp.

Good luck

I've always been of the opinion that you should buy the best rod you can afford.  The reel has always been secondary since the rod is what you feel.  This is even more important if you fish "feel" baits, like plastics, jigs, etc.  If you were a spinnerbait guy for example, I might say the reel is as important as the rod... but even then it would just be 50/50 in my book.  

You actually have very nice reels, going up from that point is going from very good to excellent.  If I were in your shoes, I'd keep those reels and buy a GLX, a custom rod.

My $0.02

Sounds like good advice

Steez rods , megabass, evergreen , daiko, gan craft , custom loomis, ledgend elites