Sign in to follow this  
Dangle

Need Help With Revo S

Just got a Revo S, and have a few questions about it.

First, with my other baitcasters, when i cast out line, and retrieve it, the line guide moves back and forth.  But with the Revo S, it only moves when I am reeling in the line,  is this normal?

Also, those 6 pins inside the reel, I have them all set outward, if I push them back in, will I cast further, or the opposite.  Dont really understand how that brake system works.

Dangle

First, with my other baitcasters, when i cast out line, and retrieve it, the line guide moves back and forth.  But with the Revo S, it only moves when I am reeling in the line,  is this normal?
Yes that's normal for all Revo's, it's called a disengaging levelwind.
Also, those 6 pins inside the reel, I have them all set outward, if I push them back in, will I cast further, or the opposite.  Dont really understand how that brake system works.
Setting the brake block toward the spool shaft (center) is turning each individual block off, setting each individual block to the outside of the spool is turning them on.

Just my .02¢ from the bench.

Tight Lines!

Answer to your first question:  Yes, it's nomal.  Baitcasters you are apparently familiar with had non-disengaging level winds.  In other words, they move when reeling or casting.  The Revo, and most other LPs and modern round reels have disengaging level winds.  They only move when reeling or of line is being pulled out against the drag.

The brake on the S is a centrifugal brake.  As the spool spins, the little weights on the pegs are forced to the end of the pegs by centrifical force.  The pegs rub against the inside of the brass ring that you see on the inside of the sideplate.  The more that do so, the more braking force you get.  

I have a couple of Revo Ss.  I have two brakes ON (weights which slide freely on their pegs), and four set to OFF (weights locked down on their pegs).  The two that I have ON are directly across from each other.   Some people like three ON (every other brake) and three OFF.  

Having them all ON will definately decrease casting distance - significantly.  

The six pins are the centrifugal braking system. When pushed out, they are in the "on" position. Pushing them in will turn the brakes off and allow you to cast further. I suggest you start with only two on (opposite each other) and four off, or with every other one on. I would also be careful about turning them all off until you get used to the reel as it will backlash very easily.

I don't put it under 2... i tried at 0 once and managed to backlash out pretty much my whole spool