Sign in to follow this  
Ballpark Frank

Fluorocarbon for topwater plastics and frogs.

I know most people don't use Fluoro for topwater plugs, but I was wondering about topwater plastics like Rage Tail Shad, Toad, and Zoom Horny Toad. I am now using Trilene 100% on most of my BCs, with the exception of my topwater rod. I know alot of folks use braid on a frog rod, but I can't stand it. I don't fish the type of slop/grass that braid is used for. I have used fluoro for buzzbaits without any issues, but haven't tried it with baits mentioned above.

Have used Fluoro for Rage Tail Toad and similar top water plastic baits with no problem. Usually most of the line is above the water any way. I still tend to like braid better for these baits,not so much because of the weeds but just the lack of stretch.

Dodgeguy hit it on the head.

Mono for topwaters.

Heavier the test the more it floats.

But you can use anything you want if you have confidence in it.  ;)

IMO you can safely use fluoro for buzzbaits, topwater frogs and other plastics, anything that is kept in constant motion.  The Sinking fluoro line should be ok if you're just buzzing it across the water because it really doesn't have a chance to sink.  Some people like to stop the frog and have it sink into a hole in some weeds or pads and the sinking action would actually help in that aspect.  

On the other hand if you were using top water plugs like poppers where many people pause the retrieve for a more broken and erratic motion it would be best to stick with something that doesn't sink as readily as fluoro.  

IMO you can safely use fluoro for buzzbaits, topwater frogs and other plastics, anything that is kept in constant motion.  The Sinking fluoro line should be ok if you're just buzzing it across the water because it really doesn't have a chance to sink.  Some people like to stop the frog and have it sink into a hole in some weeds or pads and the sinking action would actually help in that aspect.  

On the other hand if you were using top water plugs like poppers where many people pause the retrieve for a more broken and erratic motion it would be best to stick with something that doesn't sink as readily as fluoro.  

x2 - there is no issue if the bait is kept moving.