Sign in to follow this  
neBassin

Rod Guide Damage

I just bought my Shimano Crucial rod a couple weeks ago and it seems like one of the guides might be damaged. When I reel my lure in it makes a weird noise like its rubbing up against the line. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Its not causing the line to fray but it just kind of worries me.

Thanks

Can you see a chip or crack in the guide? Run a piece of cotton or tissue through it and see if it snags. If it's damage, call them up if it's new. It would have to be replaced.

If something is wrong with it, Take it back to where you bought it from.  Shimano has an "over the counter warranty" on rods.  It doesn't matter if it is two weeks old or two years old.

Look closely at the guide.  It could be glue that got on the guide.  I've seen this on some All Star rods.  Initially it felt like a chip, but was actually a little glue that was hard and a little rough.  I was able to flick it off with my thumb nail.  

Look closely at the guide. It could be glue that got on the guide. I've seen this on some All Star rods. Initially it felt like a chip, but was actually a little glue that was hard and a little rough. I was able to flick it off with my thumb nail.

Same thing happened to me on a rod I purchased a month ago. It surprised me how easy the glue came off when I applied some pressure with my thumb nail.

Are you using braid for the first time or other similar superline? If so it is not the guides. The weird sound you are hearing is the braid rubbing against the guides. This sound is normal and you will only hear it on the retrieve, especially when fighting a fish.

This will not hurt the guides. Alconites are among the lighter and tougher guides.

If it isn't braid, then some more investigation is in order.

That happened to me with my Okuma. My tip guide was grooved and cracked. So I called Okuma and they said send it in and we'll replace it. Easy as that.

Are you using braid for the first time or other similar superline? If so it is not the guides. The weird sound you are hearing is the braid rubbing against the guides. This sound is normal and you will only hear it on the retrieve, especially when fighting a fish.

This will not hurt the guides. Alconites are among the lighter and tougher guides.

If it isn't braid, then some more investigation is in order.

Nope. Im not using braid. Just Yozuri US. I think im just gonna call Shimano and see if they can replace it.