Sign in to follow this  
.dsaavedra.

rod shipping tubes

hi, just wondering how waterproof those hard cardboard rod shipping tubes are.

how would they hold up strapped to the roof of a car that is driving thru rain?

thanks!

Not sure I would trust it,, for about 10.00 at Home Depot, you can get PVC pipe and end caps, guaranteed waterproof then.

I agree, don't use cardboard. I don't like Schedule 40 PVC either. I have seen it fall from the top of a truck and shatter(worked as a construction plumber in another life). I use the sewer/drain PVC, it is not as stiff and has some elasticity.

I have a rod tube made of the sewer/drain PVC that is 7' long. This tube has made around 20 trips to the Gulf on top of my car without a single problem to it or the rods inside. It is glue capped on one end and has a screw cap on the other. I use gray shipping foam to wrap the rod tips in and also a small square on each end for padding.

I also would go with the PVC tubes.  I made two of them similar to Ballpark Frank's.  I probably have less than $30 in them including the hand saw I bought to cut the pipes.

I also purchased some rod sleeves from Cabelas (they are very similar to gun socks) that I put the rods in before putting them in the tubes as added protection.

My rods safely made the trip from KY to MN with no damage and they were crammed in the back of the truck.

The "cardboard" rod tubes I've seen are pretty substantial, and if wrapped in visqueen type vinyl sheet for rain protection, should hold up fine for a trip or two.  I would make sure the rods are padded inside whatever you put them in to prevent damage from jostling around.

If you are going to do this kind of thing a lot, then do it right and make some tubes as others have advised.

I wouldn't advise using schedule 40 PVC for fly-in trips because it is so heavy.  I have a commercially made telescoping tube that will hold about 5 two piece rods, it is light but tough, has made about 10 fly-in trips and still is in good shape, as are my rods.  It isn't nearly as big and bulky as a "Bazooka," and wasn't nearly as expensive.  I'll bet it was cheaper than PVC and its fittings.

For one piece rods, I don't have a cheap, light, solution.  Maybe the sewer/drain PVC is the answer-I think it is thinner walled and lighter than schedule 40.