Sign in to follow this  
Goggle Eyes

Flourocarbon or braided for deep water bass?

Just got some advice from a friend in Kentucky that for our upcoming trip I should spool my baitcaster with flourocarbon vs. braided, in this case 14 lb. fire line crystal. Any thoughts??

If you already have braid spooled, instead of respooling, just add a 15-20 foot flouro leader, spliced to your braid.

I imagine it is either due to gin clear water or rocks, that he is suggesting this.

Sensitivity maybe, but I am a braid convert.  Flourocarbon has its place, but I have spooled all my plastics reels with braid.   If I feel the fish are seeing the line, I just add a flouro leader.

I use fluoro now for pretty much everything except for topwater and heavy cover flippin, I feel it has greater sensitivity and minimal stretch when compared to mono. Although braid has zero stretch and is also extremely sensitive, I only throw braid when I am flippin heavy cover or throwin a frog. This is because braid is like rope comin through the water and can be seen from a mile away even in stained water, you could add a fluoro leader as was stated above but I just wouldn't feel comfortable throwing braid in that situation.

One drawback for using braid in timber applications is the zipping/sawing sound emitted when pulling over limbs etc. There are a few Braid producers that have tried to eliminate the problem and I can see some improvements but they all still need work in my opinion. Another problem is original color tint quickly fading out making line visibility obvious. I fish primarily at night so this one is not a big factor for me.

7 of 9 rods on deck have braid and I am still waiting for that quiet braided line that doesn't lose its green color tint.

Big O

ww.ragetail.com

I have never used a flouro leader while using braid and still catch fish along with others who use braid without a lead i don't believe in that stuff.

Big-O - that's a good point. I've never even thought of the sound braid makes while going over limbs, although I've felt it. I use a pretty long flouro leader so it's not as much of a problem in my case.

But do you think that the sound repels fish or attracts them? If I didn't know that the sound a rattle trap makes worked, I would have no doubt that it would scare the crap out of the fish and repel them  :)

I splice mine with a uni knot.. I use between 15-20 ft. of leader, so I can take a few wraps on my reel with it.

No, it does not affect casting.

If you already have braid on it I would just add the leader.  If you were going to respool I would go with fluoro or a copoly.

You did say deep water bass, and you have experience with the sensitivity of braid, so I think you will be disappointed with the stretch of anything else, including flouro.  I just tried the Yozuri Hybrid Ultra soft 12# on a casting reel, and while it casts very well, and is smoother than braid through the guides, I just cannot get used to the stretch, even when jerking sticKbaits, let alone feeling fish strikes.  I guess I am spoiled by the zero stretch of braid.

A friend has tried the crystal you mention, and I see it coming off his reel in loops-looks like it has a lot more memory than the Power Pro I normally use and like.  For bait casters I find that braid of similar diameter to 12 pound mono performs very well.  That puts it into the 40 pound test range.  I have used lighter and found some problems with it digging in on the spool.

Guides never like braid, and I think it is because they don't want to compromise at all on visibility, they think braid will scare the fish and you will have a disappointing trip with them.  

I use, as others have described, a flourocarbon leader with braid just to make sure the braid doesn't scare off the fish.  I like it, but it has the down side that you should rety the leader fairly often depending on how much you are casting and catching.  If I fish all day I usually retie every other day.  The Uni-Uni knot is easy with some practice and is reliable.  The Albright is smaller, also easy to tie, and reliable.

I WOULD NOT GO ON ANY BIG, IMPORTANT, FISHING TRIP WITH A SETUP I HAD NOT ALREADY TRIED OUT.