Sign in to follow this  
Sam

Great Deal at Dick's

I walked my grand dog over to the Stony Point Fashion Park for exercise  and we ended up in Dick's fishing department.

I noticed that they had a Shimano Curaod 200DHSV, exactly like the one I have, on sale.

They also had a Pfluger President with a 6:3:1 gear ratio which I have been thinking of purhcasing to use when fishing braid in the grass.

The Curado retails for $199.99 and with the price reduction and the additional 25% clearance discount I paid $112 for the reel.

The Pfluger President had a final cost of $75.

So for $197, including tax, I picked up two great reels for under the cost of the Curado alone.

The President will be the only reel in my arsnal that is not a Shimano and I can't wait to try her on the Chickahomony River in two weeks.

You all go to Peckers and see what other items they have on their unadvertised sales rack.  You may be able to pick up some bargains.

Glad I decided to walk the grand dog!  :)

That's a great deal on the Curado, I was at that Dicks yesterday but wasn't looking at the baitcasters as I've never used one and am scared to learn :)

That's a great deal on the Curado, I was at that Dicks yesterday but wasn't looking at the baitcasters as I've never used one and am scared to learn :)

I've been using one since i was 12 if i can do (almost) anyone can ;D

What's the largest benefit?  I've got a rod/reel that I bought yesterday that I can return :)

I do mostly topwater and plastics (Senko's), will the reel do me any good?  

Sam:  Did they have anymore? What rod would you recommend with it?

What's the largest benefit? I've got a rod/reel that I bought yesterday that I can return :)

I do mostly topwater and plastics (Senko's), will the reel do me any good?

I use both.  I think I can control the casts better with the baitcaster, and I use it for topwater as well as cranks and spinnerbaits.  If I am throwing a Senko weightless I tend to use the spinning, especially for the smaller sizes and if there is wind.  I also find the spinning better for skipping under docks and branches.  I will use both for jigs depending on how big they are.  A real big advantage of baitcasters is that you don't get line twist.  

Maybe it's something to look into, I guess I could always use my BPS Microlite when using the weightless Senko 5inchers, and use the Curado for everything else.

Big learning curve with it?  Could it be used with the weightless senko? or would that cause backlash cause of the lack of weight.

I don't think the learning curve is big as long as you know you can't just go out and heave it as hard as you can (which is what I did the first time I had one in my hand.)

You can throw weightless 5" Senkos with it.  I have done it.  It is harder with smaller ones and if the wind is in your face.

Maybe it's something to look into, I guess I could always use my BPS Microlite when using the weightless Senko 5inchers, and use the Curado for everything else.

Big learning curve with it? Could it be used with the weightless senko? or would that cause backlash cause of the lack of weight.

"Weightless" Senkos are actually fairly heavy for a soft plastic and can be used on a baitcaster with a little practice. I use baitcasters for everything, even little 4" finesse worms.

Link ,the inly scary thing about a baitcaster is that once you have one, your gonna want another......and another......and another......

Get the picture? ;D

Link,

You need a baitcaster in your arsnel.

It is a great weapon and it is fun to use.

There are ways to help stop backlashes and I can share them with you.

Baitcasters are designed for the "heavy" fishing, like throwing topwaters, fishing in the grass and bushes, fishing deep, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, Chatterbaits, jig and pig, plastics, Carolina rigs, etc.

Learning to use one is easy.  Probably easier than your classes that you teach.  ;D

If you think learning how to use a baitcaster is difficult, wait until the baby is born and then you can get worried about something important, like raising a child.  

We need to get together and do some fishing with the baitcaster, or at least show you how to use one.

Bring a sissors and Scotch tape, too. Especially the Scotch tape.   :)

Now, as for a rod.  Any "medium heavy" baitcasting rod will do.

An Ugly Stick is fine.  Nothing expensive.

As for line, any 10 or 12 pound flouro is fine.  Vanish or Trileen for starters and then you can start to experiment with lines until you find the one you like best.

Hooks?  Anything weedless or worm hooks in the 2/0 and 3/0 sizes.

Weights?  1/8 and 1/4 ounce bullet weights work great.

We will have to make plans for after next week.  An LSU rising senior, and a friend, was killed in a one car accident on July 9 in Fluvanna County and I am not in the mood to go fishing right now.

Very sad and unnecessary.  He hit a slick spot after a rain storm on a dangerous curve and the car spun out and the driver's side hit a tree.

The memorial service is next Wednesday at Fluvanna County High School.  He was a very popular boy at Fluvanna High School and he loved LSU.  The place will be packed.

Later.

Thanks everyone for the posts!

The Jake:  Yep! Even the weightless Senkos are heavy for a plastic worm.

Fire:  You can never have enough fishing gear!

Sam:  Thanks for the information.  Did Dicks have any others?  The combo I got yesterday was $60 but I think I like my microlite more than it and was thinking about adding something completely different to my setup.  A buddy of mine was fishing with his baitcaster lastnight, it looked like a lot of fun and had a ton of control over his lures.  If it's easier to learn than teaching my classes, count me in!  :)  The baby being born is another thing, I already know that's going to be a challenge.  A month ago we were told it was a boy, and as of Wednesday it's now a little girl....I'm in for it now!  Let me know when you want to head out Sam, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Any recommendations for a baitcasting rod and reel to get a feel for before stepping up to the Curado reel? Preferably inexpensive (under $100 would be great) for a setup to give it a go?  Anything at Dicks?

Hey Link,

If it was a boy yesterday and it is a girl today, maybe it is twins.  :)

Check the two Peckers stores to see what they have.

I don't remember what other reels were on clearance and sale.  If I walk the grand dog over to Peckers tomorrow I will check it out for you.

Just remember to get a medium heavy six foot six baitcasting rod as a minimum.  

And congrats on the twins.  ;)

Your not even funny Sam!!! :)

I've got to photograph a wedding tomorrow afternoon/evening, so if you see any rod/reel I should get...Make a special note for me and maybe I can get there on Sunday, returning the Berkley/Abu reel I got yesterday.

I read there return policy online, it looks like I can still return it even if the "plastic" has been removed.

Any recommendations for a baitcasting rod and reel to get a feel for before stepping up to the Curado reel? Preferably inexpensive (under $100 would be great) for a setup to give it a go? Anything at Dicks?

DIcks typically has a Lightning rod6'6" MH/  Abu Garcia silver Max baitcasting combo for $59.  It has a $10 mail in rebate on it and if you look around you can always find a $10 off coupon to Dicks making the final cost $40

Any recommendations for a baitcasting rod and reel to get a feel for before stepping up to the Curado reel? Preferably inexpensive (under $100 would be great) for a setup to give it a go?  Anything at Dicks?

A great casting, inexpensive outfit, (and one of my favorites), sold at Dick's is the Daiwa Capricorn 100 XTC reel. This one has 8 bearings and one of the best magnetic cast controls on the market. It sells for $59.99.

My rod is a medium action Shimano Convergence rod, 6'6". Mine was a clearance rod that I paid <$20 for. I see them for $29.99, there. I have the reel spooled with 12# Hybrid US line. This outfit effortlessly casts unweighted super flukes and like lures. The rod has plenty of backbone and feel.

I really like the Daiwa Magforce system, (I still have a PMA 10 from the 80s that I love). It is easy to learn on, as the highest mag setting makes it almost unbacklashable, (is that a word, it should be :)). As you come to know the reel, backing down on the cast control will give you very long distances. Targeting is much more precise with a baitcaster than a spinning outfit, for me, so I prefer this type of setup.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of baitcasting. 8-)

I would recommend going soon, I was at the short pump store yesterday and tons of stuff was being sold at great deals.  I was looking for a reel and got a Pflueger supreme for 59.99, well 49.99 after the coupon, plus 10% because it was the display from the case.