Sign in to follow this  
burleytog

Revo STX

Just finished a clean and oil on one of these reels.

The word 'amazing' comes to mind. While I don't have a lot of experience doing this stuff, the bearings on that reel kick the *** of every other reel I've serviced.

I need those bearings on my Calcuttas. :)

Yo B_u_r_l_e_y_,]

While I don't have a lot of experience doing this stuff, the bearings on that reel kick the *** of every other reel I've serviced. I need those bearings on my Calcuttas.
Thought you would like to know..... :)

The Shimano Calcutta has stock ABEC3 bearings in it. The Abu Garica Revo S, SX, and the STX, plus STX-HS all have stock ABEC3 bearings in them.

Just my .02¢ from the bench.....

Tight Lines!!!

I'm just curious (and not trying to be a smart arse), but are all ABEC 3 bearings created equally?  AFAIK,  ABEC speaks ONLY to tolerances, and not to bearing hardness, smoothness, or bearing material.  

I'm just curious (and not trying to be a smart arse), but are all ABEC 3 bearings created equally?  AFAIK,  ABEC speaks ONLY to tolerances, and not to bearing hardness, smoothness, or bearing material.  

When it comes to the ABEC or AFAIK ratings true, it is the tolerances that the bearings are built to making them equal in that respect. When it comes to the materials used, most of that information is hidden from the GP (General Public) or is considered proprietary by each reel manufacturer. The only reel manufacturer's that I have seen that will call their bearings as far as materials used what they really are is Quantum® with their Polymer-stainless hybrid PT bearings meaning they are a ABEC3 tolerance rated plastic coated Stainless Steel, and some of the other reel manufacturer's CRB's (Again usually a coated Stainless Steel ABEC3 bearing).

Tight Lines!!!!