Sign in to follow this  
Megastink

Berkley Lightning Rod SHOCK Help

Ok, i just read RoadWarrior's definition of rod action vs. power. I get it! Thanks RW, i was always so confused. Now for my question:

-The Lighting Rod Shock says they has a Strike Amplifying Tip, and that they say it is "slower reacting". What does "slower reacting" mean? Does it have a stiff tip, or softer tip? Would this be a good rod for crankbaits? Someone please explain so i dont lose any more sleep!

megastrike,

The Lighting Rod Shock says they has a Strike Amplifying Tip, and that they say it is "slower reacting". What does "slower reacting" mean?
Can you say marketing hype.

What does it say on the rod.

A good cranking rod will be in the medium power, moderate tip action range. Some of todays medium power, fast tip action rods can be cranking rods also. Just depends on how deep and large the bait goes...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

It may have a glass tip (like an ugly stick) that would have more give to let fish inhale the lure better, but IMHO it would "deaden" the feel.

I dont know what it says on the Rod. Im going by what TT says. The tip is a blend of graphite and fiberglass. They go on to say that it creates a "slower reacting tip". I should mention these rods are designed for use with no-stretch superlines (braid, i guess). What Does this mean for the tip, do you think?

What I saw made me smile; what I read made me frown  :).  The new look is awesome...something never before seen in a $30 rod.  Making the tip a fiberglass blend however just destroys the senstivity.  In todays age...making a rod 'forgiving for braid' just isn't necessary.  Today's graphite is quite capable of handling the shock of braid...even the x-fast action graphite rods.  

megastrike,

IMO moderate tip action, and probably slower. Ulgly Stick style..

The_Natural,

Today's graphite is quite capable of handling the shock of braid...even the x-fast action graphite rods.
Got to question that statement. Load up with 20 - 50 lb braided line on a Xfast tip with the drags tightened down (like most anglers do) and see what happens to an Xfast rod tip. I have...

Tight Lines!!!!

I have last years lightning rod and it is actually pretty decent.  I like the look of the new ones but I sure could do without the fiberglass tip...It seems it would ruin the small but noticeable sensitivity these rods have.

The first thing I thought was that it could be a nice crankbait rod as well.