Sign in to follow this  
bassripper2000

Advice on rod length

So I fish mostly 7' rods and am having trouble slapping the water when fishing jerk baits.

a 6'6" doesn't help alot, so what do you guys use when fishing reaction baits from a boat. It's even harder from a float tube.

So maybe a 6' rod from a tube. Dunno, any suggestions?

Also, I probably don't need a super senstive rod for reaction baits, so something mid priced would do?

So maybe a Medium stick, Fast Tip? Xstra Fast?

I had the same problem, fortunately the 6" downgrade solved it for me. I have never used a 6' rod but i suppose you could. Shimano Compres are nice rods at the 100$ mark, i use a medium power extra fast action for my spinning tackle and i love it. If you want to spend a little more you can pick up a Shimano Crucial for 140$, these rods will not disappoint you.

I had the same issues when fishing walk the dog and Jitterbugs, topwater

Solution 6 ft med action Baitcasting rod, problem solved. Get the shortest handle you can, that also helped.

bassripper2000,

I use a 5'6" pistol in med fast for most all of my soft jerk baits (Zulu) have use upto a 6' med fast w/7" straight grip for some of my hard jerk baits (Chugbug).

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

Do a lot of fishing from the bank. Have always used short rods (5'6"-6'). Just lately bought a 6'6" and really like it. Annnnyyyway, I have no problem using a 5'6" baitcaster (pistol grip) for Spooks, Devil's Horse or hard jerkbaits. Actually used to use one for everything for years :)...

As Ever,

skillet

Hey Rell Mech: What length for walking the dog baits?

I fish a lot out of a small Bass Hunter type boat, it sits really low to the water and a six foot rod work great for topwaters and jerkbaits.

Hey Rell Mech: What length for walking the dog baits?

Muddy,

Haven't thrown one in a while, but used a 6'6" for Zara Spooks in medium fast for a long time...

Remember also every rod I use/used was/is spiral wrapped.

Tight Lines!!!!

I do most of my fishing from a kayak and ran into the same problem.  I recently picked up an '08 Quantum Energy PT rod in a 6' MF and it works out perfect for throwing all my topwaters with treble hooks.  I was looking for something with a pistol grip, but couldn't really find one I liked in my price range and the pistol grip doesn't really fit in my rod holders on my kayak, so I went with the Energy with the truncated split grip.  I've really enjoyed it thus far and it's great looking and performing rod for the price ($70 on eBay).