Sign in to follow this  
crypticstatic

Cumara rods vs Crucial vs Avid

I got to check out the cumara line of rods by shimano as was intrigued by them. I'm wondering how they stack up against the St. Croix Avids and if the price jump is worth it to go from the crucial to the cumara.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Particularly on the baitcating models.

I have a Cumara 6'8" MXF, and an Avid 6'8" MXF. Both are baitcast models. A good case for comparison, eh?

The Cumara is a great looking rod. I like the EVA split grip, no foregrip design and the minimalist reel seat. The finish looks cool in the sun. The hook keeper is interesting anf functional, and never gets in the way. I give it high marks for style.

The Avid is rather plain jane looking. I give it high marks for function.

I use the Avid all the time.

The Cumara stays in the car most of the time.

The Cumara I have is way too stiff. It's rated for 1/4 - 1/2oz baits. BULL. A 1/4oz bait will not come close to loading this rod for decent casting. It's like trying to cast with a pool cue.

I know that you can't compare ratings across different companies. It's the apples and oranges thing. But, this rod, compared to all the others I have, is closest in power to a Setyr 6'10" H pitchin stick. The Cumara just might be stiffer than the heavy power Setyr. As such, I don't have much use for it. I've been wondering if it's possible that I got a heavy power rod that was mislabeled as medium at the factory. It doesn't feel like any other medium power rod I have; or any other that I've tried.

A lot of people really like these rods. For my part, I wish I'd bought a St Croix LT, in the same length and action.

Cheers,

GK

WOW, the medium feels that stiff? I was thinking about getting the MHXF to add to my arsenal.

After reading your post I'm starting to second guess buying the Cumara.

Do you know if the crucial feels that way as well?

The bottom line however is that this aspect of a rod, is purely subjctive and the only way you know for sure is to hold both. This is not to doubt ghoti (awesome screen name btw) at all.

To give a different example, so many people say that Ugly Sticks are among the least sensitive rods in the book, but not to me. I find them quite sensitive. No I don't own one, but I have fished with a few and was shocked. Then again, I have this one rapala rod that to me seems to lack the sensitvity and feel of even an Ugly stick. :)

I have held a Cumara and I instantly thought that it felt just right in my hands. It was a medium xfast if I recall.

It's all relative and subjective certainly at best. The only way for certain is for you to hopefully handle both. :)

Unfortunately it wasnt the Ugly Stick < IT WAS THE WHOLE FREAKING UGLY TREE THAT FELL ON ME

Don't let me keep you away. The Cumara is a fine rod, it's just not what I expected. I have six baitcasting rods that see a lot of use, and six more that see limited use as specialty rigs. The Cumara is in the second group. I use it for any situation where I need heavier baits; 3/8oz and up T-rigs and 1/2oz and up jigs. This is my deep water plastics rod; something I don't need very often.

I thought about putting it up for sale. But I figured the most I could get out of a used $200 rod was about $120. Figure in a tube and shipping, and I could net maybe $90 for it. It's worth more than that to me to just keep around for the occasional use. It is very light and sensitive, so it funtions very well as a deep water plastics/jig rod.

On a side note, I fished this past january with George Welcome at Stick Marsh. He told me to bring heavy tackle. I plan to go back to that area, and fish with him again. I'll take the Cumara for that. It has more than enough backbone for those big fish in that kind of cover.

I don't own any Crucial's, but my brother does. The M and MH rods seems to be just that; medium and medium-heavy power. I liked his when I tried them out on one trip we took. But, in the same price range are the Team Daiwa Light&Tough rods. I have two of those, a 6'3" MH and a 7' M. For my money the L&T's are a better rod than the Crucials.

Cheers,

GK

WOW, the medium feels that stiff? I was thinking about getting the MHXF to add to my arsenal.

After reading your post I'm starting to second guess buying the Cumara.

Do you know if the crucial feels that way as well?

I have never fished with or owned a Cumara but i do fish with Crucials almost exclusively. The medium action Crucials IMO feels like a medium power rod should feel and the same with the medium heavy power. Crucial rods are a very good rod in the medium price range and i don't think anybody would be disappointed in there performance.

i have two cumara's an probably getting ready to buy another one. i have a mh extra fast bait casting in 6'8 and a 7'2 M extra fast in spinning. I love them. U talk about sensitive. They are nice. The other one im thinking about buying is a 7'2 Casting in Medium for smaller jigs.

If a stiffer rod is sought for jigging, how does the sensitivity of the Cumara compare to the Avid?  Thanks