Sign in to follow this  
bigfruits

ideal lure weight for lure weight range specification on rods

im going to be buying a baitcast rod soon and i have a question about lure weight. what is the ideal lure weight for a rod with a lure weight range of 1/4oz-3/4oz? would it be the middle of the spectrum (1.2oz)?

thanks

-z

Ideally, that should be the case, but you might find out that is not always the case.

In my book, if the rod specs say that the range provided on the rod is from x to y, it had darn better handle x to y.

In your example, I imagine that it ought to handle 1/2 beautifully, but for me, it had better handle its lower and upper range limits too, or I'd deem it false advertisement.

Ideally, that should be the case, but you might find out that is not always the case.

In my book, if the rod specs say that the range provided on the rod is from x to y, it had darn better handle x to y.

In your example, I imagine that it ought to handle 1/2 beautifully, but for me, it had better handle its lower and upper range limits too, or I'd deem it false advertisement.

x2

Most of it depends on your casting style.  I tend to like the lighter half of the range with most rods.  But i grew up fishing lighter baits in heavy cover so I had to always adjust to casting with heavy rods.  That being the case, I probably generate more tip speed than most, which makes the heavier lures feel too heavy on any particular rod.

There is no magic to those ratings, they are the opinions of some guys that either designed it or field tested it when new...  and each with his own casting style.

I agree that the midpoint would the theoretical ideal, but as has been mentioned, rods should handle the full range, as well as lures outside the range. With heavy lures, I just ease up on the backcast and do more of a lob rather than conventional cast.