Sign in to follow this  
no187skills

beginner line questions

I have a spinner reel that says it takes up to 8 lb test. Can I load it with a higher test braided line due to the fact that braided line is thinner in diameter?

if it is wise to do such a thing, what are the drawbacks (to the rod and reel, not performance of the line)

thanks

Welcome aboard!

As long as you set your drag properly (2 - 2.5 lbs) you will be fine.

8-)

As Road Warrior says, be very careful and set the drag correctly.

Be sure you can pull the line off the reel with about 2.5 pounds of pressure.

A reel is designed to hold the yards of each specific line test weight as printed on the reel.

Couple this to the fact that your rod is designed to throw specific line and bait weights so you want to "balance" everything so as not to break your rod or damage your reel.

With that said, you can still use braid on a spinning setup (although I use braid on baitcasters) as long as you double check the diameter to make sure the reel can handle it.

Remember, braid does not give nor break so you will be placing a lot of pressure on the spinning reel. This is why it is imperative your drag is set appropriately and you do not use a lightweight spinning reel designed for light line tests.

I am using the Shimano 2500s for river and lake fishing and the Shimano 2000s for pond fishing.  The 2500s are strong enough to handle heavy fish and hard fights.

Go out and give it a try and let us know how you do.  ;)

thanks for the advice. I was only going to put 10lbs or 12 lbs braid on the reel. It is my "travel rod" that comes in two parts and I have had a lot of break offs when fishing for bass with it. i figure if i beef up the line a little and tie better knots i should have fewer problems.

i will make sure the drag is set right. best of luck to you guys