Sign in to follow this  
Handy

Flouro questions

I am considering my first purchase of flourocarbon line and was wondering what the experts here have to say wich ones seem to actually perform as they are intended? I will be using it as leader material. Also what knots would I use? Thanks

Paul

Tackle Tour performed some extensive research of flouro line.  The Bass Pro Extreme line was the clear winner.  www.tackletour.com.

All of my rods are loaded with braid, with a BPS flouro leader.

I use the BPS Extreme as well based off the Tackle Tour tests. I can tell you it is awesome, but I have nothing to compare it to because I just started using fluorocarbon too. But it is awesome compared to the mono I was using.

I spent a lot of time researching knots, and can testify that the San Diego Jam works really well for tying to your hook. Just make sure any knot you use looks pretty and wet it well so it doesn't burn the line.

Hey Paul, my advice is to not buy it. I stink with flouro. Spinning worse than baitcasting, but both blow. Maybe i had a bad batch (2 times, 3 years apart), but i'll never buy it again. XL for me thank you. But what do i know....

I'm a convert from Seaguar InvisX to the BPS XPS flouro. It doesn't handle as quite well, but it has better abrasion resistance and stretches a little less.

is it stiffer or why do people say they dont like it. I thought about trying it this year for throwing jerkbaits in the spring but didnt get around to getting any.

Used the BPS XPS Fluoro for about a year, but switched to Vicious Fluoro about 6-8 months ago.  Can't tell much difference between the BPS & Vicious, but the Vicious cost less and I can get it locally.  I also think KVD line & lure is a requirement for any Fluoro or mono for that matter.  I use some 20 LB Vicious and with the KVD  Line & Lure, I have no problems with memory.

handy, check out the tackletour flouro roundup test. or whatever it was called. that might give you some insight. I'd focus on knot strength and visibility since it sounds like you'll be using a short leader. abrasion resistance would be nice, too, but you can't really have it all with most line types - especially flouro. g'luck, man!

Well I can say that the test was at least intersting reading. I read an article on fly fishing for LMB and he used a short flouro leader and I thought well why not use it. After all that I may just stick to normal mono leaders.

Paul