Sign in to follow this  
-ebby-

Small to medium Swimbait setup

I am thinking of getting a diawa heartland rod the heavy action rated for 1/2 to 6 oz lures to throw some mattlures swimbaits and maybe some 5-8 in hardbaits (when i get money agian) along with some of my other heavier lures. I will also want to use this as my musky setup. Will this rod work for what i need? And what would be a good reel in the 75-145 range? i would really like to try a revo but would a sx be a good reel for this rod? i know the curado 300's are supposed to be good but they are a little more than i can afford right now

No.

You don't need special equipment for Mattlures Baby Bass or other small to medium size swimbaits. A MH/F or Heavy Power/Fast Action bass rod will do the trick. Probably whatever you are using for your jig rod will work just fine.

8-)

If your into the round reels, try a cardiff 300 or 400.  The 300 is a good size for the small/med swimbaits, and it's only 100 bucks.  I like the 400 for the bigger swimbaits when cause it holds more of the big line.  But like RW said, you don't need anything special for mattlures, but once you start with a small swimbait, your very likely to get hooked and soon as you know it, you'll be throwing hudd's, wake jr's etc.  You may say you won't now, but you will eventually break down.  I told myself I would never spend more than $40 on a bait, that didn't last long, i just recently bought a $100 Triple Trout.  Good luck on your swimbait journey

I have already been throwing the mattlures on one of my rods but i want one that is a little heavier for my homemade ones and for muskie fishing plus i want to get into some of the bigger swimbaits

Check out the Okuma Guide Series Big Bait rods, they go for $110 on *** but I'm sure if you look around you could find one for cheaper. They come in a 7'6" and a 7'11". I've got the 7'6" HF and it's rated for 1-5oz lures and it throws the Mattlures baits fine.

I've got it paired with a Cardiff 301A (lefty 300), they retail for $100 but again I'm sure you could find one cheaper.

i got the bass pro power plus trophy class rod rated for 1-4 oz for $25 and so far my only complaint is that the rod is pretty heavy in terms of weight. other than that it gets the job done quite well! its great for a 25 dollar rod.