Sign in to follow this  
B-o-b

Line Breakage Problem

Alright, i just got back home from a weekend fishing up north. I got a new baitcaster for the trip and put 8lb test braided SpiderWire moss green. After a while fishing the first day, i casted it and the line broke about 5 yards down from my spinnderbait. I had only some minor (1 major :-/ ) backlash casts. So i fixed it and fished the rest of the day.

The next day after about an hour and a half of fishing, the same exact thing happened! The line snapped about 5 yards down from my lure. I am relativley new to baitcasters so i was pretty mad because it never happened with my spinning setup. Any obvious solutions?

Yeah it did backlash each time it flew off, but both casts were like the others i'd been doing, with no extra effort or anything that usually causes backlash for me.

first of all on a baitcaster you need to go with thicker line to help prevent digging in.the thinnest i have gotten away with is 6/20.most of the time i use 12/50.junk the spiderwire and get some powerpro or sufix.

Ok two questions now. (both probably really dumb)

1. Whats is Diggin in?

2. What does the 6/20 mean?

1. digging in means the line gets stuck inside itself.

2. 6/20= 6lb diameter  20lb test

Go with power Pro,I had the same problem with spiderwire!

Ahh thanks you. Would it have anything to do with the age of the line. I got it at Gander Mountain, but i don't know how much line they move.

8 pound test braided is as thin as a hair, anything can abrade the line to the point of breakeage, the only thing 8 lb braid line keeps is the near zero stretch, braided line is not abrassion impervious, it 's abrassion resistant but the thinner the line gets the more it deteriorates when rubbed against objects, being so thin it 's not strange to hear you have line breakeage problems.

Dodgeguy is 100% correct, you want thin line but higher resistance you need to be in the teen+ poundage, like he mentioned 6/20, 20 pounds of test but 6 lb diameter.

first of all on a baitcaster you need to go with thicker line to help prevent digging in.the thinnest i have gotten away with is 6/20.most of the time i use 12/50.junk the spiderwire and get some powerpro or sufix.

does the digging in part only for baitcasters or is that with spinning reals too?

more on baitcasters because the spool is thinner.some spinning reels do it but most do not.