Sign in to follow this  
Primus

Has anyone used the Johnny Morris BPS reels?

I will be using this on my BPS 7' MH cranking stick to throw DD22's and silmiliar cranks. I was also looking at their David Fritts cranking reel. I've been tossing these baits on Citica D and have been disapointed in the casting distance which is imperative with a deep diving crank. I've been reluctant to go with a longer rod because of limited room in my 18' G3 boat. BTW met a Shimano rep at tounament this weekend where he showed me the Curado E, I personally didn't care for the extra small frame epecially for this application.

I have a JM Elite baitcast reel.  I've had is all spring and summer and it's an excellent reel.  It's every bit as good as the Revo or Curado D.  In fact, mine will outcast both.  As for quality components, it doesn't take a backseat to any of those reels.  The Elite is an outstanding reel.

The JM Signature reel is just as good, though it has a bearing or two less.  They make a 5.4:1 reel which would be good for cranking.

Don't let anyone kid you, the top end JM reels are fantastic.

I use the Fritts reel (4.7 - 1) with a 7' BPS Crankin Stik for this application. They aren't fancy but cast a country mile, I couldn't be more pleased! Caught the big girl in my avatar with this.  ;)

I have a signature series reel. Had it for three years and have had no problems with it. I have it spooled with #10 XL, and mounted on a BPS Pro Finesse rod, 6'9" ML. Yeah, a medium-light baitcaster.

This is the rig I choose when most would pick up a spinning rod. Wacky rigged trick worm, no problem. A 1/16oz jig with 4" power worm, no problem. An 1/8oz crankbait, no problem. Unweighted fluke, well you get the idea.

I think you'd have no problems casting anything, including the big, deep diving cranks, with one of these reels. The dual cast control is almost infinitely adjustable. You can find a combination of settings on the centrifugal and magnetic brakes that will accomodate almost any bait.

A lot of people will tell you to get a reel with a slower retrieve speed for deep divers. I'm not one of them. You can slow down a fast reel a heck of a lot easier than you can speed up a slow one.

I bought a couple of Energy PT 640's thinking I wanted the 4.4:1 ratio for cranks and spinnerbaits. After the second time I lost a fish that ran at me, and I couldn't keep up with it, I ordered new gears and upgraded both reels to 6.3:1.

By the way, what line do have on your present reel? I'm not a Shimano guy, but I've never heard anybody complain about casting distance with a Citica D.

Cheers,

GK

Ghoti, using 12# hybrid. I have app. a dozen Shimano baitcasters, some are the old green Curado's. I use LH reels for jigs/ worms, but I prefer RH for cranks & spinnerbaits. I set the Citica on 1 break but they keep popping out after a few cast, I'm to going to send it in. I use to consider myself nothing but Shimano because I wanted all my reels to have the same feel,but with all the changes that have been made that no longer is feasible. As mentioned in my earlier post I'm not impressed with look of the new Curado's/ Citica's so I thought it might be time consider another option.

Primus,

I bought a Johnny Morris baitcaster two years ago and on its first trip to Smith Mountain Lake it blew up.

I returned it to the Hampton Bass Pro Shop and the clerk told me that I would do much better with a Curado.

So I gave them the Johnny Morris and got a nice Curado 100 and the Curado has worked beautifully.

Sorry, but I now stay away from all Johnny Morris reels.

A word to the wise........  ;)