Sign in to follow this  
Crashsector

Fireline... leader or no?

So I find myself in the minority of anglers, at least on this board, that seem to love Fireline. I've been using it with my Citica and have been more than impressed with it as a jigging setup.

I'm building a nice heavy spinning rod setup for shaky worms and fishing through cover. I decided on 10 lb. smoke Fireline.

Here's the question... do you think I need to use a mono leader? I haven't had much of a problem with my jigging rod, but that line is crystal. It doesn't seem to be very translucent in the water but the couple of 5+ pounders I hooked in to didn't seem to care.

Any input appreciated!

--Andy

Well, if your reel holds 100 yards of Fireline,

I would use about 110 yards of leader.

::)

Two ways to look at it I guess.  

Fireline really cuts through cover well, pads, cabbage and so on... So in this case it's great.

On the other side of things, some times you get fireline stuck in rocks and wood and you are not going to break it without a knife.  So in this case it's nice to use a flouro leader material such as Vanish.

I personally do like to use a leader when the fish are finicky, not sure it helps but it gives me piece of mind.

Hope this is helpful.  It's all about what you are confident with.

Dave

I never used a leader with my smoke Fireline, but my partner uses one with his hi-vis yellow-green or whatever it's called. It's largely a matter of how much confidence the angler has in his setup.

Well, if your reel holds 100 yards of Fireline,

I would use about 110 yards of leader.

::)

;D

ALWAYS use a leader with fireline. If you are fishing subsurface lures, use fluorocarbon. If you are fishing a frog in the slop (the ONLY topwater lure I will use with a superline), use a mono leader.

One of my favorite rod/reel combos is a 7' med/light spinning setup for finesse stuff like you are describing. It's spooled with 4/10 Fireline, and I always use a leader. I've been liking 8- or 10-pound Trilene 100% Fluorocarbon, I make my leader about 7- or 8-foot long, and it's tied to the fluoro with a blood knot.