Sign in to follow this  
Jeff13

Reel Cleaning

About 3 or 4 times a year I go inshore fishing down on the coast.  I worry about the hardship this places on my reels and other equipment.  I wash everything down and spray with reel magic.  I'm a little nervous about interior reel cleaning.  Should I take the reels in to a repair shop for good cleaning? and if so what should I expect to pay for the service?

Thanks.

First, let me say that I am no expert, but I tidy up inside my reels after every salt water excursion.  No, I don't have some expensive calcutta but a trusty Cardiff and although it isn't high end, I treat it like it is.

Fortunately, it is not that hard since you would just be maintaining the reel, (cleaning out debris, maybe adding lubricant, etc.) and not overhauling it.  For that I highly recommend takiing it to the Reel Mech. He is the man!

Click here to see a link to maintenance for Shimano reels. Now you might not have a shimano reel, but the steps involved in maintaining the reel are going to be similar.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/customer_service0/reel_maintenance_instructions.html

It's not as hard as you might think and this is coming from someone who has little mechanical aptitude.

Jeff13,

What brand of reel?

If your nervous about breaking a reel down (complete service), then don't. There are some fine service shops in TX, or you can send it to me. As far as what your local shops charge I have no idea, mine is $16.95 for standard clean lube and tune up of a BC reel, $18.95 on SP reels..

Use the service form link in my tag line for more info......

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!  

Jeff13,

What brand of reel?

If your nervous about breaking a reel down (complete service), then don't. There are some fine service shops in TX, or you can send it to me. As far as what your local shops charge I have no idea, mine is $16.95 for standard clean lube and tune up of a BC reel, $18.95 on SP reels..

Use the service form link in my tag line for more info......

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

Jeff,

Definitely send it to him!  He resurrected one of my reels from being a glorified dust collector into one whose castibility now matches that of my better reels.  No Joke.  I know you're talking about cleaning. He cleaned my reel and added abec 5 bearings to a reel that initially had bushings.  The difference was noted on the very first cast.

x 1 x 10^100000000000000000000 :)