Sign in to follow this  
shorefisher

Water-logged line?

While weightless senko fishing I love watching where my line enters the water closest to the bait. New line will float nicely and you can detect the faintest bite by watching the behavior of the line thats being pulled under on the fall. After time goes on the line floats less and less well making it more difficult to read in this way. This has happened with various hybrids and mono's, I've never fished braid this way.

Overtime does the line absorb water? Would line conditioner such as the KVD brand help alleviate this?

Nylon lines do absorb water.  This is the reason line memory decreases after a little while on the water.

One of the purposes of the line conditioner is to be absorbed into the line to help make it less stiff.

Line that has aborbed water and dried out from non use is why it has that slinky toy look (spool memory)

While weightless senko fishing I love watching where my line enters the water closest to the bait. New line will float nicely and you can detect the faintest bite by watching the behavior of the line thats being pulled under on the fall. After time goes on the line floats less and less well making it more difficult to read in this way. This has happened with various hybrids and mono's, I've never fished braid this way.

Overtime does the line absorb water? Would line conditioner such as the KVD brand help alleviate this?

Shorefisher,

Yes, pre-treatment with Line & Lure will help mono from absorbng water and make the line last longer too.

Rob

You might want to give Yo-Zuri Hybrid or Hybrid Ultra Soft a try.

These lines do not absorb water and they float!

8-)

You might want to give Yo-Zuri Hybrid or Hybrid Ultra Soft a try.

These lines do not absorb water and they float!

8-)

I use Ultra-Soft. Love the line and it does take longer than mono but eventually it will absorb water. I am judging this by the way the line behaves when new vs. 20 times out on the water. It will not float nearly as well as new, but again no where near as bad as mono.

Wet Versus Dry Strength - Most anglers know when nylon monofilament absorbs water it loses some of its strength. Yo-Zuri HYBRID, because of its high fluorocarbon content and double fluorocarbon coating, is 100% waterproof. HYBRID will retain 100% of its dry knot and tensile strength even after a full day of fishing.

This is the link in its entirety:

http://www.yo-zuri.com/Products/Prodline/Hybrid.htm

8-)

Wet Versus Dry Strength - Most anglers know when nylon monofilament absorbs water it loses some of its strength.  Yo-Zuri HYBRID, because of its high fluorocarbon content and double fluorocarbon coating, is 100% waterproof. HYBRID will retain 100% of its dry knot and tensile strength even after a full day of fishing.

This is the link in its entirety:

http://www.yo-zuri.com/Products/Prodline/Hybrid.htm

8-)

Lol thanks RW they really should sponsor you, you got me using it but as Colombo said just one more thing:

Do you use regular Hybrid for casting and reserve ultra-soft for spinning?

What color(s) do you prefer?

-Shore

Well, I swing both ways! By treating the lines with KVD Line & Lure Conditioner, memory is greatly reduced (almost zero). I like the orginal Hybrid better in the water: green is virtually invisible in clear water and smoke blends well in the stained water I generally fish.

I am currntly fishing both Hybrid and Hybrid Ultra Soft. I think most people will be much happier with Ultra Soft on their spinning equipment, but it is not as important on baitcasting gear.

8-)