Sign in to follow this  
wishin4fishin

Shimano Cumara has IMX sensitivity? So does Daiwa Steez?

Hey guys,

Anybody have experience w/ the Shimano Cumara or Daiwa's Steez rods? I've read a few reviews now and more than one have touted that these latest offerings are at least as telegraphically sensitive as my beloved Loomis IMX sticks. :)

Opinions?

Has this already been covered?

Ask The Natural about the Steez rods, he had several.

Yep, a couple of the reviews I've already read were over at Tackletour, that's part of what led me to make this post.

I think I'll run a search for 'Steez' and 'Cumara' here on the forums

I am a tad biased because I am a Shimano dealer and I have very limited experience with Daiwa.  I believe the Shimano Crucial is a better value than the Cumara.  Crucial is a tad heavier, but better balanced and has a much stronger frame.  The Cumara does not feel balanced to me with a Curado E7 or a 50mg.  

The Steez rods are good; the upper end Daiwa rods are nicely finished.  However, I wasn't that impressed...they are better than a lot of rods out there, but it wasn't equivalent to my glx's.  I sold them last year aftZer I owned them for about 2 months.  I have recently purchased some Daiwa Zillion rods, which I really enjoy.  I feel they are more sensitive than the Steez rods, and have the same look and feel.  After examining several Cumara's at Cabelas, I wasn't impressed with the build quality.  One rod had a guide foot that was sticking out of the wrap (like the builder didn't notice that!).  Another had the reel seat turned to the right...like 45 degrees to the right.  Anyway, the Zillion rod is just more rod...more wraps, better foam, aluminum winding checks, etc.  If you held each rod and didn't know the prices...you would easily guess the Zillion to be the more expensive rod.  It looks and feels $100 better.  Great buy...

The Steez rods are good; the upper end Daiwa rods are nicely finished. However, I wasn't that impressed...they are better than a lot of rods out there, but it wasn't equivalent to my glx's. I sold them last year aftZer I owned them for about 2 months. I have recently purchased some Daiwa Zillion rods, which I really enjoy. I feel they are more sensitive than the Steez rods, and have the same look and feel. After examining several Cumara's at Cabelas, I wasn't impressed with the build quality. One rod had a guide foot that was sticking out of the wrap (like the builder didn't notice that!). Another had the reel seat turned to the right...like 45 degrees to the right. Anyway, the Zillion rod is just more rod...more wraps, better foam, aluminum winding checks, etc. If you held each rod and didn't know the prices...you would easily guess the Zillion to be the more expensive rod. It looks and feels $100 better. Great buy...

Thanks. I knew somebody on these forums had to have spent some time w/ these rods. Sounds like the Cumara doesn't exactly have same build quality as my IMX rods.

I have a steez spinning rod (STZ681MLFSA) and an imx spinning rod (SJR7832) and the steez doesn't even come close to the sensitivity of the imx . IT SURE DOES LOOK GOOD THOUGH !

• Haha 1

My Cumara has none of the issues mentioned in The_Naturals post. It is by far my favorite rod (I also own 2 Loomis IMX). The sensitivity is on par with my IMX rods. Don't know how those rods passed QA or a store inspection, but they should never have been put on the shelves.

My Cumara has none of the issues mentioned in The_Naturals post. It is by far my favorite rod (I also own 2 Loomis IMX). The sensitivity is on par with my IMX rods. Don't know how those rods passed QA or a store inspection, but they should never have been put on the shelves.

This was only 2 rods out of about 20 or so that were on the shelf...could have been an isolated incident.

This was only 2 rods out of about 20 or so that were on the shelf...could have been an isolated incident.

Likely. But I've seen these isolated incidents on a number of different brands. It is kind of sad these things escape quality control of any company because some are VERY obvious. On the shelf they should at least be discounted for someone willing to live with the glitches. It is up to us to make a "good" selection I guess.

I played a game with this one day while I was shopping for some plastics. I hit 3 different stores and looked at all the Premier and Triumph rods in each place looking for "glitches". Premier being made here in the USA and Triumph being made in China. I found more Premier glitches than I did on the Triumph's. Actually, about twice as many as best I remember. I wasn't real happy about that. Next time I'm going to do Crucial vs Avid. China vs USA again.

Likely.  But I've seen these isolated incidents on a number of different brands.  It is kind of sad these things escape quality control of any company because some are VERY obvious.  On the shelf they should at least be discounted for someone willing to live with the glitches.  It is up to us to make a "good" selection I guess.

I played a game with this one day while I was shopping for some plastics.  I hit 3 different stores and looked at all the Premier and Triumph rods in each place looking for "glitches".  Premier being made here in the USA and Triumph being made in China.  I found more Premier glitches than I did on the Triumph's.  Actually, about twice as many as best I remember.  I wasn't real happy about that.  Next time I'm going to do Crucial vs Avid.  China vs USA again.

I guarantee all the rods that end up on the shelf with defects come from the same builder at that particular factory.  All brands end up with some defective rods at the factory...it's just going to happen when you mass produce anything.  However, it is the quality control manager that is ultimately responsible for not allowing those rods to be sent to distributors.  Loomis and Lamiglas for one have combated this by making each individual builder put his initials on the rod.  If you look at a new loomis or lamiglas, you will see initials right above the foregrip...underneath the rod coat.  If they run across defective rods, they can isolate the builder and hold him accountable.  

Likely. But I've seen these isolated incidents on a number of different brands. It is kind of sad these things escape quality control of any company because some are VERY obvious. On the shelf they should at least be discounted for someone willing to live with the glitches. It is up to us to make a "good" selection I guess.

I played a game with this one day while I was shopping for some plastics. I hit 3 different stores and looked at all the Premier and Triumph rods in each place looking for "glitches". Premier being made here in the USA and Triumph being made in China. I found more Premier glitches than I did on the Triumph's. Actually, about twice as many as best I remember. I wasn't real happy about that. Next time I'm going to do Crucial vs Avid. China vs USA again.

I guarantee all the rods that end up on the shelf with defects come from the same builder at that particular factory. All brands end up with some defective rods at the factory...it's just going to happen when you mass produce anything. However, it is the quality control manager that is ultimately responsible for not allowing those rods to be sent to distributors. Loomis and Lamiglas for one have combated this by making each individual builder put his initials on the rod. If you look at a new loomis or lamiglas, you will see initials right above the foregrip...underneath the rod coat. If they run across defective rods, they can isolate the builder and hold him accountable.

The two letters are the build date. The first letter the month the second letter the year.