Sign in to follow this  
warmer

Favorite toad rods?

id love to hear what you guys use.

i use 65lb braid and hit them hard so my love for the nice sensitive action of the daiwa heavy light and tough has been overshadowed by the fact that i am on my third one this year due to breakage.  im thinking of shopping for a new style.

I read here a while back that someone else broke a light and tough...I think maybe it was theBeast.  They look like nice enough rods though. Sorry to hear that you broke it.

im on my 3rd daiwa light and tough and my 4th team daiwa-s rod.  for a total of 5 broken rods this season.

Steez Swimbait rod is THE best frog stick out there.  Period.  Paired with a Steez 100 and 65 lb Sufix braid and your done.

Steez Swimbait rod is THE best frog stick out there. Period. Paired with a Steez 100 and 65 lb Sufix braid and your done.

What model number is it?

Is it versatile enough to fish frogs in open water and on top of heavy mats?

On a side note how does the Steez 100 handle the torque and stress of using 65lb braid and heavy weed cover. I called Daiwa and one of the reps said that the magnesium frame will flex more under that kind of stress and that an all aluminum reel, like the Zillion, with its brass gearing, would be more suitable.

The rod I'm using is the new for '08 STZ741XHFBA. It's 7'4", rated from 1/2 oz up to 2 oz. They call it a swimbait stick, I say no way. Unless of course they're talking about smaller swimbaits, this rod makes a ridiculously light frog stick. It works well with the 100H Steez, I just got the rod and am waiting for my JDM Zillion HLC arrival to pair with it instead. The 100H works well, the HLC, with it's superior distance casting abilities, will be spot on.

They also make a Zillion version of this rod for half the price of the Steez. Fantastic value and the weight difference is negligable.