Sign in to follow this  
fish-fighting-illini

BPS Extreme BC reel

On a trip to BPS recently I did an unscientific short study.

I gave each of approx 30 reels a gentle spin of the handle to see how long it would spin. The BPS extreme hands down out spun everyone including Curado, Revos, Quantums you name it I tried it. Now this may or not even mean anything. Plus it doesn't test drag or longevity or ease of getting repaired. I just like the feel especially for the price. I love the color as well its a pretty reel.

One reel I think was a higher end Quantum but could have been a Revo, had a ton of side to side slop on the spool. It approached almost 1/8" worth of slop. I don't even know for sure if that is bad but NO, Nada, Not one other reel was that way.

Just an observation, not 100% sure what it means

They are very good reels, the Extremes. I made a switch over to them but in the end I prefer the Trions over them.

I have found that I like a reel with a more solid body and i like a cetrifugal brake better than the hybird, with my thumb doing the rest. I just set 4 of the six brakes on my Trion and I am good to go.

The Extreme however is an incredible reel for 80 bucks and they frequently sell em for 60. I may keep one for wacky rigging Trick Sticks,jusy is still out on that idea.

I bought 2 of them new.  I'm not a big fan of the color green though.  You can find a bunch of Extreme limited edition reels on ebay that are silver.  I don't know if they're the same reels as the green ones.  I still have one left that I use on my flippin rod since it has a flippin switch.  One thing I did notice though, it's a good idea to pull handle plate off and lube the thing when you buy one.  At the very least, remove that little access door on the bottom of the reel which allows you to grease the main gear.   For some reason they seem to scrimp a little on lube and I had to lube both reels not long after using them the first time.  Especially the main and pinion gears.  

I bought 2 of them new. I'm not a big fan of the color green though. You can find a bunch of Extreme limited edition reels on ebay that are silver. I don't know if they're the same reels as the green ones. I still have one left that I use on my flippin rod since it has a flippin switch. One thing I did notice though, it's a good idea to pull handle plate off and lube the thing when you buy one. At the very least, remove that little access door on the bottom of the reel which allows you to grease the main gear. For some reason they seem to scrimp a little on lube and I had to lube both reels not long after using them the first time. Especially the main and pinion gears.

Welcome back Cart glad you are ok

This post is just one of the reasons people asked about your abscense. You always have a ton of insight and quality posts.

FFI - AKA Matt Crum

I bought 3 of them last year when they were on sale for $60. So far Im very happy with mine. I only use them on my crankbait and spinnerbait rods. They are just as smooth as my Curado 200Ds and my new 200E and my Revo SX, STX'S and Premiers.

They may only last a couple years but hey, at $60 I'll throw them away and buy some more!

Very much worth the money!!!