Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
booneangler

Thinking about going to Florcarbon for cranks

Recommended Posts

Just wondering how many of you throw florocarbon for cranks? And what brands are the best? I have heard Bass Pro's Florocarbon is good. Can anyone give me any info?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I throw flourocarbon at times to get the bait down a bit deeper faster  because it sinks, but some people have management problems with flourocarbons. I use Vicous flourocarbon and really like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've used XPS, P-Line 100%, and Seaguar CarbonPro with good results.  I generally use 8-12# line for cranking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to use fluorocarbon on my deeper crankbait setups. I prefer Bass Pro's fluoro too. It's great stuff at a great price. Whenever I am cranking shallow cover though I do prefer to use mono. Mono's floating characteristics help in letting the bait back out of snags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I throw it about 25% of the time with crankbaits...the other 75% I'm using crystal clear CXX.  I have always used fluoro with jerkbaits; it does effectively get your bait a little deeper.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mono for treble hook baits.

Use 10-pound test.

If you go from a 10-pound to an 8-pound test you will add around 10-inches to your depth.

If you go from 10-pound to a 12-pound test you will lose about 12-inches of depth.

The 14-pound test will reduce your depth from between 12 to 18-inches.

So go with a good 10-pound test mono to keep the crank in the strike zone longer.

And remember, you will need some stretch for treble hook baits.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did at one point (until I got poor)! I did get a lot more fish than with mono or braid. I used it on most my combos, every thing but frogs and top waters, Works great for spinner baiting to! The best brand I found was BPS brand and Berkley Vanish.

*tip*

You can use lot litter line than wound use with mono because of its high abrasion resistance! For example if you use 20lb mono than you can go down to a 12lb line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i want to throw it for deep cranks. What about abrasion is that something that has to be worried about a lot for floro??
Its a concern irrespective of line material.  I fish Great Lakes waters infested with zebes, and the lines I listed about are very strong.  I use moderate action graphite rods for cranking, so that is part of formula as well. The line may get rubbed and even peel a tiny bit, but they usually hold.  Always inspect and retie at the slightest notion of a nicked or rubbed line. If you are concerned about abrasion, then stay away from so called supple or soft lines for cranking.  Use a baitcaster to better manage stiffer FC line.  The softer, supple products really excel on spinning rigs for finesse baits and light line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×