Sign in to follow this  
booneangler

Thinking about going to Florcarbon for cranks

Just wondering how many of you throw florocarbon for cranks? And what brands are the best? I have heard Bass Pro's Florocarbon is good. Can anyone give me any info?

I throw flourocarbon at times to get the bait down a bit deeper faster  because it sinks, but some people have management problems with flourocarbons. I use Vicous flourocarbon and really like it.

I've used XPS, P-Line 100%, and Seaguar CarbonPro with good results.  I generally use 8-12# line for cranking.

I like to use fluorocarbon on my deeper crankbait setups. I prefer Bass Pro's fluoro too. It's great stuff at a great price. Whenever I am cranking shallow cover though I do prefer to use mono. Mono's floating characteristics help in letting the bait back out of snags.

I throw it about 25% of the time with crankbaits...the other 75% I'm using crystal clear CXX.  I have always used fluoro with jerkbaits; it does effectively get your bait a little deeper.  

Mono for treble hook baits.

Use 10-pound test.

If you go from a 10-pound to an 8-pound test you will add around 10-inches to your depth.

If you go from 10-pound to a 12-pound test you will lose about 12-inches of depth.

The 14-pound test will reduce your depth from between 12 to 18-inches.

So go with a good 10-pound test mono to keep the crank in the strike zone longer.

And remember, you will need some stretch for treble hook baits.  :(

I did at one point (until I got poor)! I did get a lot more fish than with mono or braid. I used it on most my combos, every thing but frogs and top waters, Works great for spinner baiting to! The best brand I found was BPS brand and Berkley Vanish.

*tip*

You can use lot litter line than wound use with mono because of its high abrasion resistance! For example if you use 20lb mono than you can go down to a 12lb line.

i want to throw it for deep cranks. What about abrasion is that something that has to be worried about a lot for floro??
Its a concern irrespective of line material.  I fish Great Lakes waters infested with zebes, and the lines I listed about are very strong.  I use moderate action graphite rods for cranking, so that is part of formula as well. The line may get rubbed and even peel a tiny bit, but they usually hold.  Always inspect and retie at the slightest notion of a nicked or rubbed line. If you are concerned about abrasion, then stay away from so called supple or soft lines for cranking.  Use a baitcaster to better manage stiffer FC line.  The softer, supple products really excel on spinning rigs for finesse baits and light line.