Sign in to follow this  
rocknfish9001

slider v. shakey head

In what areas does each one excell in? One of my favorite baits is a mann's mannipulator on a slider head, followed by a zoom trickworm on a shakey head. I use the slider head in grassy structure while fishing it simaler to a t-rig, and a shakey head in more of a clean bottom using shakes, hops, and drags. What are your experiences with both of these techniques?

Love the Avatar!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D     Jimmy Paige is the man!

and I like a shaky head with a GYCB "stretch" grub............I will use this in everything but heavy grass and moss.......

"stretch" grubs? i must know more. Are they like strike kings' 3x plastics? I wastched KVD do a presentation, and he did a bit on shakey heads. Said he used 3x finnesse worms since they float. By the way, if you havent seen him, youve got to. He answers every question perfectly, is really nice to fans, and puts his sense of humor into his presentation. I see him every year at his dad's tackle store in kalamazoo, which is only a 45 minute drive away.

Slider fishing is totally different than shaking a worm on a jighead (shakey head).  The slider head coupled with a flat tailed slider worm glides through the water, imitating a small minnow.  You can cover water faster with a slider, but it is geared toward fish feeding in the middle of the water column, versus a shakey head which excels when fish want a slower, more methodical bottom approach.  If you haven't used Charlie Brewers Sliders...I highly recommend you do so.  I had never seen or heard of one back in '93 during a Red Man tournament on Lake of the Ozarks.  My boater was throwing a slider in Camo, and my weenie worm on a standard jighead was getting smoked by his slider.  He was nice enough to hook me up with a slider head and worm, and I ended up with a paycheck.  I'll never forget that, and Sliders have been in my box ever since.  

The shakey worm and slider fishing are just about diametrically opposed.

The shakey worm involves a lot of fiddling around: jiggling, twitches, shaking, everybody has his own technique.

Slider fishing is "do-nothing" fishing, it's the same for everyone (a natural glide).

Roger

Stretch Grubs are just one of GYCB's many models of grubs.

As or Sliders, I use them in swimming situations around docks, weeds, standing wood, rocks banks, open water, etc.

I fish "shakey style" heads on the bottom.

Brad

The original Slider Head was designed for catching suspended bass using the "do-nothing" or swimming technique.  I have yet to fully master this technique as it involves finding the right depth and speed to fish the lure.  However, that is not the only version of the Slider Head that is made.  The Snagless Slider Head has the hook eye on the front of the head and comes through grass, brush, rocks, etc. with very few hang ups.  I think it is far less likely to hang up than a Texas Rig from my experience.  I have caught many fish off the bottom or other structure with this head and a 4" Slider Worm.  It can be crawled across the bottom (Charlie Brewer called this 'polishing the rocks"), hopped, jiggled, or fished with the "pull and drop" technique.  Slider Heads have a light guage, very sharp hook which enables an angler to hook the fish using a sweeping hookset which will not break light line.  These baits are made for light line and light tackle fishing in clear water.  They will also work in stained water with proper color selection.  The Bait Monkey just reminded me that I need to order a new supply.  

I like the Sliders anytime bass are suspended under the docks.I try to use something bulky like a lizard or any bait that floats well (like the 3X stuff).