Sign in to follow this  
Trick Worm

Line for topwater Frog

I find that the jerking technique I use leaves slack in the line that results in catastrophic failure on the next cast. I was using 20 lb mono but have had it happen on 15 lb mono. What line do you guys use for this jerking technique which leaves some slack in the line before reeling

Throw them on your brand spankin new baitcaster, and hold the line tight with your thumb and index finger as you reel. Now your line should be spooled tight and ok for the next cast. If your talking about the tangle your getting with your spinning reel, your probably using too much and too thick line.

50# sufix braid

Throw them on your brand spankin new baitcaster, and hold the line tight with your thumb and index finger as you reel. Now your line should be spooled tight and ok for the next cast. If your talking about the tangle your getting with your spinning reel, your probably using too much and too thick line.

Its just such a long rod I was going to solely use it for flippin' jigs in the qualifier. I put some 15 lb fluro coated mono we will see how that does for now but I will most likely end up putting some braided on it before sunday.

Go with flouro or copoly and ditcth the mono.

Mono for treble hook baits.  Flouro and copoly for all other baits.

I use braid for frogs.

I start considering 30-pound test braid and then can go up to 60-pound test braid as the braid does not seem to bother the bass.

Just get rid of the mono and to with a flouro, copoly or a braid and you should reduce or eliminate baitcaster problems.

Maybe!!!  :D   :)   :)

Its just such a long rod I was going to solely use it for flippin' jigs in the qualifier. I put some 15 lb fluro coated mono we will see how that does for now but I will most likely end up putting some braided on it before sunday.

My flippin rod is my frog rod as well. When you get a bass caught in heavy cover, you'll wish you had 50 pound test! Definately put braid on it, they lake will probably be pretty muddy considering the rain we've been having. So line visibility should not be an issue. If you still want the invisibility of flouro, just use about a 4-foot flouro leader.

Sam, why not flouro on treble hook baits? Does it make cranks dive deeper or something?

Mase,

Sent you a PM.

:D

My flippin rod is my frog rod as well. When you get a bass caught in heavy cover, you'll wish you had 50 pound test! Definately put braid on it, they lake will probably be pretty muddy considering the rain we've been having. So line visibility should not be an issue. If you still want the invisibility of flouro, just use about a 4-foot flouro leader.

Sam, why not flouro on treble hook baits? Does it make cranks dive deeper or something?

I would like to know that answer also.

Thanks

Joe

I'm having luck with Berkley Fireline Crystal 30lb.

I just bought some 30 lb fireline braided. It is too stiff and leaves your fingers/cork handle black.