Sign in to follow this  
fishbear

Floating Rat L Traps

Has anyone tried these yet?  I had a buddy tell me he saw them at BPS.  He said he bought some, but have not seen them yet.... thought maybe he was jerking my chain....

Guest avid

I used one for a while.  Couldn't catch anything.  

It got so that everytime I reached for a ratltrap this is one I would grab.

Smashed it shoreline stump.

Problem solved.

Killer on Speckle Trout & Red Fish  ;D

Aint never caught a bass on one   ;)

I prefer the floater to that standard trap. It is perfect  to burn over shallow weeds without hanging up. It doesn't float like a top water, it just doesn't sink like a regular trap. When you crank it, it runs a few feet below the surface and kind of suspends. I've never seen it float and rest on top. I think everyone should have a couple.

My experience with this bait was not very positive.  Didn't like anything about it, didn't find it to be productive.  However, I had a Cordell Spot (Suspend Spot???) that preceeded the Rat-L-Trap and it was a great producer.  Esp over cover and late fall, early spring.  They would eat the whole thing.  Makes me want to try and find another.

The floating is the only lipless that i use consistently from Rap-L-Trap. The same scenario, shallow grass beds where the regular ones will not work.

Guest avid

Maybe it's gearing, but I have no trouble burning a 1/2 oz regular ratltrap up top near the surface.

Maybe it's gearing, but I have no trouble burning a 1/2 oz regular ratltrap up top near the surface.

Sure, but the floating can be fish at slower speed w/o dragging 5 lbs of weeds.

Yeah they do float but you will only have the tail up at the surface.(mine does anyway it could also be the line you use) The bait works well on shallow grass and for schooling fish. I just toss it in the middle of a school of shad and make it look like an injured shad. Sometimes I just float it and twitch it or just rip it and let it float up. (It is a slow riser) I also like it around rock banks because it will run shallower than a regular trap. More important is that the bait doesn't sink so you can slow it way down and not worry about it hanging up. The bait is not going to be as loud as a regular trap because it has plastic balls in it instead of bb's. They also have a suspending model that works well in cold water or when you want to pause the bait around cover before you rip the bait for a reaction strike. I do this a lot around wood cover or docks. I also like it if I want a stop and go retrieve because I don't need to worry about the bait sinking down enough to hang up.

I haven't used the floating, but I have the Red zone Bill Lewis traps.The Red zones suspend. I really like the lucky craft LV0 , not sure if I would buy a floating bait that fishes the same waters the LV0 does ? Ivan

I've used a floating trap for years.  Great in extremely skinning water above the grass.  You can add some suspend strips and turn the thing into a suspender.  

When you have a trap style bait that does different stuff then you are able to present the bait in different ways that at times can be more effective than the original. You are expanding your fishing knowledge and versatility when you use them. With some baits you are able to do things that other baits can't. I talk a lot about a sugar shad for example. There are a hand full of rattletrap style baits that when they hit the bottom on a fall the bait will sit upright and the sugar shad is one of them. Rattling spot had one and spro has one also. If I was to pitch a rattletrap to a bed the bait would lay flat and look dead. The other baits because they sit upright look like a feeding shad. You can also use the bait to fish sand bottoms real well. You take the bait and let it fall to the bottom and hop it like a worm. The bait will leave small puffs of sand or mud and look real natural. I have also used the bait to pitch into pockets of grass before. Because the bait falls upright and sits upright in some areas you can get away with it and it can be killer. If I was to use a different lure the bait would fall like a flat stone and hang up.

Don't have any floating 'traps, but I have several suspending Cordell Spots.  Never caught a single bass on those.  The regular Spots, however... ;)