Sign in to follow this  
rboat

flouro?

For regular fishing, worms, senkos, jerkbaits, etc.  Do you really need a flouro leader on braid?  If so, how long of leader is recommended?

I have been just using straight 20lb braid. It seems to work ok, but am I not getting as many bites without the flouro leader? Any thoughts or help?

I think  you might have answered your own question as to if you really need the fluro leader.  If you are not getting as many bites then it is affecting your catch rate so you need to go to whatever gets the most bites.

As for the leader length, I am not completely certain but I would think something around 3-5 feet probably.  I don't currently use the braid/ fluro leader technique as much as I probably should though.

Unless you are fishing gin clear water , you don't need a leader, just tie directly on your braid. JMHO

Hi,

I had two rods set up this summer. One with 20lb. Power Pro and one with the Power Pro and a flouro leader. There was no difference per se in the amount of fish caught. I think it would make a difference in catching bedding fish or fish that are "spooky" for one reason or another, but in general, no leader is fine. IMO

ajr

whats a leader? :);)  No but seriously i dn't think the fish matter at all, just ur confidence on whether or not u think u should use a leader.  Alot of guyz i fish against in tournaments fish straight braid on every rod and they just flat out beat me up but i think thats got more to do with experience and confidence in what ur doing than the line itself.

I use straight floro for the applications that you have mentioned.  I found in the clear water that I fish in vermont and in South Florida ponds I definetly get more bites with the floro.  I use the Bass Pro Shops XPS floro for worms and tubes and it just slightly less sensitive then braid, atleast to me.  I love fishing small Strike King Coffee Tubes in shallow weeds and I feel the floro give me an advantage since the water is clear I can see down to the bottom in 5 feet of water. Try it out for your self it would be a low cost experiment.