Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

Abu Ambassadeur

I own a 7' MH Lighting ROd that I picked up from Wal Mart liek a year ago, and I purchased with it a chep-o $35 shakespeare off the shelf casting reel. I have practiced with this combo numerous times, and I have became decent at casting from shore with it. I am aware that this rod is a bottom of the barrel model, and I have to upgrade. I was thinking about an Abu Ambass. C3 or C4 for now, and maybe then picking up a Revo in the spring if I take to the casting reel.

Round C series Ambs are a different animal than the Revos. I recommend starting and sticking with the Revo if that's where you want to end up anyway. There isn't much the older Cs can do that the Revo can't. The Revo will handle lighter baits better, too. You can find "new in box" Revo Ss for under $100 on ebay.

(Avoid "factory reconditioned" reels. From what I understand, that "factory" may have been someone's garage.)

BTW, the Berkley Lightning rod is generally considered to be a very good rod, especially given its low price.  

Oh, I like the Berkley Lightin' Rods, I own a 6' MH spinning for a general purpose Bass fishing rod, and a 5' UL i just got for trout. The rods have great strength and feel for a rod under $40.

I would like to use my 7' MH Casting rod, but I need to get a quality reel I can depend on before I put much faith into the set up. Also this rod will allow me to fish more presentations, especially in a certain ponds that has heavy underwater brush.

I saw the Revo S. on Basspro.com for $99. The C4 is almost that much anyway...so I'll prob just go with the Revo since I've heard good things

any garcia will work GARCIA rules but like micro said if u are just starting out go with a revo s if u plan on doin that later i have revos and c3,s  c4,S c5s,  BUT they are like night and day compared to casting a revo