Sign in to follow this  
Dan:

G blank, Powell, Kistler, Shimano, Falcon, E21, American Rodsmiths, and more?

Alright, I've been researching new rods and I cannot for the life of me narrow my search. Right now I'm looking at rods in the $100-$150. I'm looking for a rod to be used for texas rigs, weighless plastics and the occasional light spinnerbait or jig, basically an all purpose kind of rod. Preferably a Medium or Medium Heavy Fast or Xfast with a lower lure weight rating of 1/4ounce and a lower line rating of 8lb test. I also want a split grip model. Does anyone have any experience with these rods that can provide some sort of comparison for durability, sensitivity, weight, and balance. Thanks for any info.

BTW, this rod will be paired with a new Citica 201E

Falcon Cara T7

Shimano Crucial Dropshot

Powell Max

American Rodsmiths Magstrike

Okuma C3 (not out yet but looks bangin')

Damiki Dark Angel (not out yet as far as I know)

Kistler Magnesium TS

E21 LTX Carrot Stix

GBlanks (on ebay here)

I should say I especially interested in info about the Cara, the Gblanks, Crucial, and Carrot Stix

PS, I know nothing about GBLanks and it is hard to find very much info about them. I'd like to hear some stuff about them, too. The rod I linked to looks awesome, but how does it fish? Do they name their models? What are their higher end models like and what makes them different?

The only one I've had experience with is the Crucial. I bought one not too long ago and REALLY only have good things to say about it. It is a 6'6" M with XF tip. The lower lure weight rating is 1/4oz and lower line rating is 8lb. Plus it was right in the middle of your price range ($129) and a lifetime warranty. Haven't had it that long, like I said, so far it is everything I hoped. Have it paired with Citica 200D...

skillet

I have fished both the crucial and the magnesium and i liked both. if i had to pick one i would go with the magnesium. the 6'6" or the 7' all-purpose rods are awsome. i also use the 6'8" heavy cover fish snatcher i even throw 5/16 oz shakey heads on it when i'm fishing deep brush. awsome rods and i can throw that shakey head a long ways even with the heavy action rod.

I would buy the Damiki just because I like to try new rods.  The Damiki rods look hot, and Damiki makes high quality products.  They are new to the states, but have been overseas for years. The Citica would look bad arse on one of those dudes....

I agree, I think the black on black with the silver citica would look awesome. But then again, same with the G blank which also has the foam handle....

Thanks for the input so far guys, keep it coming!

come on fellas, I know more people own some of these rods and have something to say about them

I fish nothing but Falcons right now.  They are really popular in my neck of the woods and fit what I'm willing to spend on a rod.  The new T7's are very light and sensitive and have a great warranty.  I really don't think you could go wrong with one.  An all purpose rod is kind of tricky.  Too light and you can't get a good hook set on plastics, to heavy and you can't cast the weightless stuff, work the shakey head, etc.  A 7'MH should do the trick for you.  These can be picked up at Academy's rod riot they have from time to time for ~$100 or so if you have one in your area.  big  

I have a 7'3 MH carrot stix, and two crucial rods 7' MH/MF crankbait rod, and 6'8 MXF dropshot spinning rod.  I love all of them, but the crucials are my favorite by far.  I think they are more sensitive, and better quality than the carrot stix.

BTW, *** just added some Damiki Dark Angels to their site for anyone who cares.

My Dad has a Powell Max. Really nice rod, I am surprised it doesn't float since its a light as air. There is a price reduction on Powell rods going on so I would recommend moving this rod higher up on your list.

In your list, the Powell Max is one of the better rods in my opinion. I don't know how it compares to the Gblanks, the American Rodsmiths, or the Kistler, but I think it meets or exceeds the performance of the Crucial, the Carrot Stix, and the Cara.

I'm not familiar with the traits of the Okuma or the Damiki rods that you mentioned.

i have two of the crucial casting dropshot rods...GREAT dropshot rods but i wouldn't recommend them as a general purpose rod...because of the taper, it's hard to control your lure placement. i also have a powell 703CEF...it's a dream...light, sensitive...great feel and i like not having a foregrip.

I've used Powell, Crucial, Gblanks, and held the Kistler and Carrot Stix.

The Carrot would be a definite no. The guides alone kill it for me.

The Powell and Crucial are both decent rods, as is the Kistler.

Personally, I liked my 6'10 MH GBlanks rod more then any of the others, hands down. It was light, sensitive, and very easy to fish with all day. Not to mention Larry is an awesome dude. You can also pick the color of your wraps and customize a few of the things.

Goodluck.

My Dad has a Powell Max. Really nice rod, I am surprised it doesn't float since its a light as air. There is a price reduction on Powell rods going on so I would recommend moving this rod higher up on your list.

those rods look very nice , im thinking of getting the swimbait rods from powell, ( the XH, H, and the MED.H ).