Sign in to follow this  
I Put The O in Pro

Drag not working

I was fishing yesterday with braid on the reel I was using and the drag seem to quite working.  I work on the reel in the boat for a while, but nothing. When I got home I was taken the line off the reel and I stop about 10 yd left and pulled on the drag and it was working fine.  It seems the the drag was sliping or something with the braid on.  Has anyone every had this problem.      The braid was spider wire braid if that helps

The braid is slipping on the spool.

You need ten yards of backing: mono,

copolymer, fluoro, whatever you have

doesn't matter.

Problem solved, guaranteed!

8-)

Tie the mono to the spool. I use an Arbor knot, but it doesn't really matter. Then connect the mono to the braid with a Blood Knot or Uni Knots or whatever you like. Here's the Blood Knot:

http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodknot/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com#Bachmann

This is the Arbor Knot:

http://www.animatedknots.com/arbor/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com#Autoblock

8-)

9 out of 10 times it's usually the braid slipping on the spool.  Unless your reel has weak drag.

my curado 101D had weak drag even with electrical tape and monobacking I could still easily pull the line off the reel with the drag locked down.  Had the reel looked at also, and it was simply weak drag that was the problem.