Sign in to follow this  
KevO

Swimbait rod and reels

I'm looking to put together a swimbait combo during the cold weather months for next season.  I am looking to spend no more than $400-500, but I think I can get it done for less than that.  I have 3 reels I am looking into a shimano Calcutta 400B, Calcutta 400TE, or another possibility would be a curado 300D if I can find it on clearance for less than $200.  Of these three what would be my best choice?  How much does gear ratio play into swimbaiting?  The calcutta's are 5.0:1 and the curado is 6.2:1.  

Also, the rods I am looking into are the St. Croix Mojo, Shimano crucial, and the Okuma guide series?  Can anyone point me in the right direction here?  Thanks.

Calcutta 400B, Okuma

A Gloomis will keep you under 500 and are great rods. For the price though, Okumas are tough to beat.

What is the model number of the Loomis rod?  What lure weight should I look for.  I plan on buying some tru-tungsten tru lifes, mattlures, lucky craft supreme 200, and lunker punkers?

A Okuma 7'11" XH is a great rod. I own one and love it. It handles all my big baits flawlessly. I have it paired with a Cardiff 400, but I plan on upgrading to a Luna or Calcutta.

Skip on the tru-tungsten, and the lucky craft supreme. Pick up a couple Hudddlestons 8" in ROF 5 and 12. If you want a Mattlures, wait for his hard bluegill to come out, it looks AWESOME! Punkers are nice to have too.

BTW, did Big Bait Posse inspire you to start swimbaiting? I noticed your user name.

Triple R Rods here in MO just built a 8' swim bait rod for me.If your interested I can PM you the phone # .He builds with Loomis blanks if thats what you want or has 1 other brand thats a little cheaper but only has 1 year warnt where Loomis is life time.

What would be a good Spinning rod & reel set up for swimbaits??

Thanks for the advice fellas.  The big bait posse may have had some effect on my choice to start  swimbaiting.  Mainly, though I know there are some big bass here in TN and I want to catch them.  

I think I am going to get a calcutta 400B, and the okuma rod.  I'll post some pics of it when I get it early next year.

Oh yeah, any recommendations on line?

Oh and one other thing, could this setup double as a big striper rig?

you can get a quantum swimbait rod and shimano cardiff reel combo at outdoorproshoop.com on sale for 170..the rods usually 170 and the reel 120 so you saving baout 120 bucks