Sign in to follow this  
LookinForLunkers

Mini Rat-L-Trap

I'm just wondering, has anybody had any luck using Mini Rat-L-Traps.  I have one, but I only throw it every once in a while, just to see what might happen.  I've never caught anything with it, but it seems like they should work for bass or bluegill.  If you've had any luck with them, what were the conditions and what size was your fish?  

i have a few of them.  Every once in a while i'll throw one and i catch crappie like crazy.

Jason

Thanks, NEBassman.  I kinda doubted that they would be a very good bass catcher.  Since they work for crappie, I'm guessing that they could catch a few larger bluegill too.

Mini Rat-L-Traps = Many Bass   8-)

They work on schooling bass which are usually smaller bass.

A buddy of mine's family has a farm in north GA with a 7 acre pond/lake on it. This summer, we were up there, and must have caught 20 fish (3/4 of them small bass, the rest crappies) off the same ledge in an hour. I was throwing a #7 shad rap, and my buddy was throwing, of course, a mini rat-l-trap. They just catch fish like crazy.

adam

Mini traps will catch a good limit of fish on certain days other lures don't produce well, don't be fooled by the size of the lure. You really need to have a whole different set up for trap sizes.I like a 6 1/2 ' medium rod with 8 to 10 lb test mono for the small traps where the 1/2 oz. & 3/4 oz. traps I use 15-20 lb test mono on a 7' MH rod.Fish traps in skinny water, same type of conditions you would a spinnerbait.the weight of the trap fishes the different water colum, fish the minis on shallow flats, or over weed beds with minimum surface water to weed clearance and the heavier traps when the trap isn't ticking weeds on the retreive.I never retreive the trap in a straight line retreive, i want it bouncing off weeds, bottom, moving the rod tip so the lure wanders left to right instead of a steady straight line retreive. I change the hooks to a Gamakatsu EWG treble hooks, unless they are a Japanese brand trap.I use a lucky craft split ring on all trap line ties as well. I hope this helps. Ivan

Thanks for all the help, guys.  I guess you can't judge a book by it's cover.  I wasn't expecting that tiny lure to catch much of anything.  I'll give it a few more tries and hopefully catch a few.  

I use them on some lakes in the northern part of Michigan, I have good luck with the Baby Bass 1/4 once with red gamakatsu hooks. Spring and early summer produce the best, stike king makes ome nice small lipless baits too, the diamond shad.

Corey

They are a pretty good pond and small river bait--particularly in stained water. As someone else mentioned, you can not only catch LMB but white bass, perch, and crappie as well on them