Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Quantum Energy PT B/C Reel 2008

Hey ghost,

I had an '07 Energy Burner and an '08 Energy Power (5.1:1) and LOVE them both! It's  heavier than my other reels (mostly Accurists)  but that doesn't botther me. My only complaint is the way I palm the reel, I have a tendancy to tweek the ACS brakes and on windy days I tend to get a "professional overrun" if I'm not paying attention.

Can't compare it to the Shimanos since I only own Quantums.

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by tweeking the ACS braking?

You had these reels, so you sold them?  So no problems w/ how it performs? Casting & retrieving doesn't make any odd noises?

I have one and it squeals when it casts every once in a while. I bought both a curado E and a Citica E and like them a lot more than the quantum. Buy the citica, you wont regret it.

I have 7 of these Quantum reels.  2 are the high speed like the one listed and 5 are the 6.3:1 gear ratio.  The reels are really smooth , but I don't care for the weight of them.  They are heavy.  I am also wondering about how they hold up because I have 3 of them that sound like they need new bearings because they squeal when you cast.  I am actually switching all of mine out for the Daiwa Zillions, but for that close out price, it is hard to beat.  I just wouldn't spend what I did on them last year, something like $170 or so if I remember correctly.  

Ghost they are nice reels, especially for that price. I have one Burner and 2 of the Power ones. I haven't had a problem with any of the 3. Mine don't squeel either. I think there are some out there than do and some that don't.

Yes they are on the heavier side but if you've never had a reel that weighs 5oz you may never notice it. As far as comparison I can only compare it to the old green Curados. Usuing both side by side its easy to switch between them.

They are really easy to adjust if you are switching baits because you either turn a dial or a nob, no taking off side plates. That is a nice feature. Probably what Basser89 meant is that he will turn the ACS dial. I can't say I've ever had that problem, but like he said it is probably the way he is holding the reel.

Do a search and you'll find alot of posts about these especialy from when they first went on sale last year. Just realize you will see a lot of negative feedback from people that haven't picked up a Quantum with the last 5-10 years.

Hope this helps,

bassdocktor

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by tweeking the ACS braking?

You had these reels, so you sold them? So no problems w/ how it performs? Casting & retrieving doesn't make any odd noises?

Hey ghost,

While I palm these reels, I move the ACS braking (usually to a lighter side), that's what I meant by tweeking the brakes. The "had" was a typo (was running on very little sleep when I posted before! LOL)! I still have both my Energies. I haven't noticed any odd noises. My guess that would come from that hot sauce junk they put in the reels. As I've said in other posts, I don't like the hot sauce. IMO, it's best to have that stuff cleaned out and replaced with better grease and oil!

Thanks for the replies.  I'm going to go ahead & buy the Energy PT b/c reel in left hand.  The place I'm buying it from said they'll take it back if it's not working correctly...squealing while casting.  So I hope I don't run into that problem.  I did in the past w/ my first Quantum b/c reel, after a few months of use it started that squeal sound.

But from what most of you are saying it's a good reel.  This will be my part-time light pike/musky reel.  

Will let you guys know how it is when I get to use it.

Thanks again!